What are derivatives and integrals?

In summary, derivative is a measure of how quickly the function changes at a certain point, while integral is the total amount of area under the curve of the function.
The_Z_Factor
What are they? In my book I am studying limits and it has mentioned a few times before and in the current chapter Derivatives and Integrals, but hasnt explained them. Could anybody explain what these two things are, exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
if your asking for a formal definition then goto www.wikipedia.com and search for derivative and separately integration.

Geometric calculus interpretation:

If f(x) is a line and can be represented by mx +b then the slope is m, but this is a line and the slope is the same throughout the real numbers. Now consider y= x^2, what is the slope? it changes at each point, the slope at any point is the derivative of the function evaluated at that point.

the integral of a real function gives you the area under the curve of the function.

SiddharthM said:
If f(x) is a line and can be represented by mx +b then the slope is m, but this is a line and the slope is the same throughout the real numbers. Now consider y= x^2, what is the slope? it changes at each point, the slope at any point is the derivative of the function evaluated at that point.

So does this mean that there can be as many derivatives as there are points?

The_Z_Factor said:

Different functions can be differentiated a different number of times.

The_Z_Factor said:

It means that in general the derivative of a function of x is itself a function of x. i.e., the slope of a function is different at each point on that function.

For example, the derivative of x^2 is 2x. This means that on the curve y = x^2, at the point x = 4, the slope of the curve at x = 4 (or, perhaps more precisely, the slope of the line tangent to the curve at x = 4) is 2*4 = 8. Similarly, the slope at the point x = -5 is -10.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me everybody, that explains it. I think as I'm beginning to learn more about simple calculus I'm beginning to like it more. Haha, it just might turn into a hobby once I learn enough.

1. What are derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are fundamental concepts in calculus that involve finding the rate of change and the area under a curve, respectively. Derivatives measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while integrals measure the accumulation of values over a certain interval.

2. What is the difference between derivatives and integrals?

The main difference between derivatives and integrals is that derivatives measure the rate of change of a function, while integrals measure the accumulation of values over a certain interval. Derivatives are also the inverse operation of integrals, meaning that they "undo" each other.

3. How are derivatives and integrals used in real life?

Derivatives and integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, derivatives are used to calculate the velocity of an object, while integrals are used to calculate the total distance traveled.

4. What are the applications of derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. Some common applications include optimization problems, finding maximum and minimum values, and solving differential equations.

5. How can I learn more about derivatives and integrals?

There are many resources available to learn more about derivatives and integrals, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and applying these concepts in different scenarios to gain a better understanding.