Tell us about something you can't forget

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
In summary, my childhood memories are of mundane things that I'll never forget, but a funny Jay Leno headline that I remember from years ago stuck with me.
pitot-tube
Tell us about something you can't forget and something we won't forget once you've told us about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
One time, I think twelve years ago (which would be back when I was 11), Jay Leno was doing his "Headlines" segment. One of them was a restaurant ad which stated "come in and try our paved road." I also remember a headline from about that long ago, another ad which featured a salesman holding up some of his products. But if you looked very closely, you saw that the man somehow had three arms. The last arm was hard to distinguish, but once you saw it, it was most definitely a third arm. Now this clearly wasn't intentional, since the ad had nothing to do with multitasking. Somehow they had just screwed up in this most peculiar way.

So why is it that these two things which I remember so vividly are Jay Leno headlines? I have no idea. I don't even watch Jay Leno regularly, nor am I typically a fan of comedy. I guess they just seared themselves into my memory somehow! Whether they'll have the same effect on you, I can't say.

One day, when I was seven. I was on an Amtrack. My view from out the window was seared into my memory. There was a 2 liter seven-up bottle laying near the tracks outside. Nothing remarkable, or emotionally interesting to anybody. But I have always remembered the scene well.

Mk said:
One day, when I was seven. I was on an Amtrack. My view from out the window was seared into my memory. There was a 2 liter seven-up bottle laying near the tracks outside. Nothing remarkable, or emotionally interesting to anybody. But I have always remembered the scene well.

:biggrin: That is something that we won't forget?

Okay, now I won't.

I remember my dad jumping and touching the ceiling while wearing his new tennis shoes. I guess for a three-year old that was pretty impressive.

About 15 years ago, my brother-in-law called to tell me that he had caught a "wild" and aggressive ferret in a live-trap and asked if I wanted it. Since we already had ferrets, I said that I'd come up and look at that one. It was a sweet little female, and she wasn't the least bit aggressive. When I talked to her, she came to the end of the trap and seemed to invite contact, so I opened the trap and took her out. I held her to my chest and she just curled up in my hands, snuggling in. I put her in a Carry-Kennel with food and water for the ride home, and she kept sticking her nose out at me, sniffing. I talked to her to keep her calm and reached over to touch her nose from time to time to reassure her and let her get my scent. I said "What are we going to call you?" among other things, and "Boy! you sure are nosy!", which seemed to perk her up for some reason. I picked up on that and said "I'll call you Rosie", which she seemed to like, and that's how I introduced her to my wife when I got her home. She and my wife bonded immediately. A couple of weeks later, my sister-in-law called and said that someone in the area where the ferret had been caught had posted a reward notice for a lost ferret. We had assumed that the ferret had belonged to a summer vacationer (lots of camps around that pond) and that we could keep her, but I called the number and a young woman answered the phone. I asked her to describe the ferret and she said that it was a brown sable female, with a thin healed scar near her left eye. With a deep sense of loss, I told her that we had her ferret, and she screamed to her husband and son "They've got Rosie!"

I'll never forget that.

When they showed up, they wanted to pay us for returning their ferret, which we refused. The sight of their little boy cuddling his ferret (who slept with him every night) was too precious for words.

Haha, incidentally I remember you telling that story before Turbo!

Heh Turbo, good story :).

1. What is the most memorable experience you have had?

The most memorable experience I have had was when I went on a research trip to the Amazon rainforest. It was an unforgettable adventure filled with new discoveries and challenges.

2. Why is this experience something you can't forget?

This experience was something I can't forget because it was my first time conducting fieldwork in a remote and biodiverse location. It tested my skills as a scientist and opened my eyes to the beauty and fragility of our planet.

3. How did this experience impact your research or career?

This experience greatly impacted my research and career by providing me with hands-on experience in a unique environment. It also helped me to develop new techniques and perspectives that I have applied to my work since then.

4. Can you share any specific details or findings from this experience?

During this research trip, I discovered a new species of frog that had never been documented before. It was an exciting and significant finding that added to the scientific knowledge of the region.

5. How has this experience influenced your perspective on the importance of scientific research?

This experience reinforced the importance of scientific research in understanding and protecting our planet. It showed me the importance of hands-on fieldwork and the impact that scientific discoveries can have on our world.