What are permanent features of a bacterial cell?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the conversation revolves around identifying the permanent feature of bacteria. The options of capsule, cell wall, flagella, nucleus, and plasmid are discussed and eliminated one by one. It is concluded that the cell wall is the only permanent feature of bacteria. The role of genes in controlling the expression of capsule and flagella is mentioned, as well as the fact that prokaryotes do not have a definite nucleus. Plasmids are not considered a permanent structure. It is also suggested that the person involved in the conversation is preparing for a medical exam and is recommended to use a book called First-Aid for Step 1.
sameeralord
Out of these I mean

1. Capsule
2. Cell wall
3. Flagella
4. Nucleus
5. Plasmid

Bacteria don't have a definite nucleus, I'm thinking it is cell wall that is a permanent feature. Am I right!

Biology news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

Capsule, nucleus and flagella can be immediately eliminated. That leaves cell wall and plasmid. And I know that mycoplasma don't possesses a cell wall. Technically all bacteria can have plasmids (and most do) but they are not essential for the survival of a cell (in the way cell membranes are for example). So I wouldn't call it a permanent feature.
Ryan_m_b said:
Looks like it. Probably needs to be moved.

Last edited:
mishrashubham said:
Ryan_m_b said:
Looks like it. Probably needs to be moved.

No, he's studying for boards.

Mish is correct, just the cell wall.

Capsule expression is controlled by genes which receive environmental feedback, as are flagella (though you should note, that some bacteria are "permanently" motile through expression of a flagella, others it is inducible as a virulence factor).

Prokaryotes are anucleate.

And plasmids aren't a permanent structure.

As a side note Sameer, you're prepping for USMLE step one correct? Are you taking it outside the US?

Also, not sure if its available where you're at, but certainly online, you need to a get a copy of First-Aid for Step 1 ASAP if you don't already have it. You should use it as you are studying topics and make notes in it, etc. Great book, can't stress it enough. Most US med students comments about First-Aid was "I wish I would have started using it in first year of medical school".

Best of luck.

I can confirm that the permanent features of a bacterial cell include the capsule, cell wall, flagella, and plasmid. These structures are essential for the survival and function of bacteria. However, it is important to note that bacteria do not have a true nucleus, but they do have a nucleoid region where their genetic material is located. This region is not enclosed by a membrane, making it different from a nucleus found in eukaryotic cells. Therefore, the cell wall is considered to be the main permanent feature of a bacterial cell, providing structural support and protection for the cell.

1. What are the main components of a bacterial cell?

Bacterial cells have a cell membrane, cytoplasm, ribosomes, and DNA as their main components. They may also have additional structures such as a cell wall, flagella, and pili.

2. What is the function of the cell membrane in a bacterial cell?

The cell membrane acts as a protective barrier and controls the movement of substances in and out of the cell. It also plays a role in maintaining the cell's shape and structure.

3. How does DNA differ in bacterial cells compared to eukaryotic cells?

Bacterial cells have a single circular strand of DNA, while eukaryotic cells have multiple linear strands. Bacterial DNA is also not associated with proteins, unlike eukaryotic DNA.

4. Are there any permanent structures in a bacterial cell?

Yes, there are permanent structures in bacterial cells such as the cell membrane, cytoplasm, and ribosomes. These structures are necessary for the survival and functioning of the cell.

5. Can bacterial cells change their permanent features?

While some structures in bacterial cells can change, such as the cell wall and flagella, the main permanent features of a bacterial cell, such as the cell membrane and DNA, remain constant. These structures are essential for the survival of the cell.