A lemma in the integers from calculus

In summary: So it might be appropriate to add that.In summary, we are trying to prove the lemma that if N and M are natural numbers such that N>M-1, then N≥M. This lemma is used in the proof of the ratio test in calculus. After struggling to prove it, it was discovered that it can be easily proven by showing that there are no integers between 0 and 1, using the Well Ordering Principle. This proof is accepted without further explanation in most cases, but for a more thorough proof, it can be shown that the set of positive integers between 0 and 1 does not contain a least element, leading to a contradiction and proving the lemma.
Bipolarity
Suppose that M and N are natural numbers, such that N>M-1.
Prove that N≥M

The problem above is a rather minor lemma that I obtained while proving the ratio test from calculus. I was able to successfully prove the ratio test itself, but I took this lemma for granted, which I am now trying to prove.

I expected that since this lemma was rather simple, it would be easy enough to prove, but I can't seem to catch it.

Any ideas on how this might be done?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
The inequality you start with is the same as 1 > M - N. So you just need to prove that there are no integers strictly between 0 and 1. Then it follows that 0 ≥ M - N.

The positive integers do have a smallest element (Well Ordering Principle), call it s. Clearly s is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 1. You have to prove that s must be equal to 1.

That is about half the proof.

Vargo said:
The inequality you start with is the same as 1 > M - N. So you just need to prove that there are no integers strictly between 0 and 1. Then it follows that 0 ≥ M - N.

The positive integers do have a smallest element (Well Ordering Principle), call it s. Clearly s is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 1. You have to prove that s must be equal to 1.

That is about half the proof.

Thank you, I was not aware of the well-ordering principle. It completes my proof quite succinctly.

BiP

Hey Vargo, is this reasoning correct:

s cannot be an integer if 0<s<1, or does it require further proof?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Hey Vargo, is this reasoning correct:

s cannot be an integer if 0<s<1, or does it require further proof?

BiP

Here's a proof that there are no integers between 0 and 1: Suppose that s is an integer such that 0 < s < 1. Let S = {positive integers n : 0 < n < 1}. Then S is not empty because s [itex] \in[/itex] S. By the well-ordering principle, S contains a least element m. Thus, 0 < m < 1. Multiplying by m, we get 0 < [itex]m^2[/itex] < m. Thus [itex]m^2 \in [/itex] S and [itex]m^2[/itex] < m, a contradiction. Therefore no such s exists, so there are no integers between 0 and 1.

I may be missing something but

N > M-1 implies that N-M>-1. Since N and M are integers N-M>-1 is equivalent to N-M≥0

from which we get N≥M.

Whether it requires proof that there are no integers between 0 and 1 depends on the context. Most people would accept it without proof. If you are writing this up for a class, then you could check with your professor. In most classes, even ones that start by proving of all the basic properties of numbers, by the time you get to infinite series, then you have probably moved on past minor points such as this. So mathsman's argument would suffice.

However, since you were asking about the proof of that lemma, a careful proof would involve the Well Ordering Principle and it would follow Petek's argument.

1. What is a lemma in the integers from calculus?

A lemma in the integers from calculus is a mathematical statement that is used to prove a larger theorem or proposition in the field of calculus. It is a smaller, simpler statement that is proven to be true and then used to help prove a more complex statement.

2. How is a lemma in the integers from calculus different from a theorem?

A lemma is different from a theorem in that it is typically a smaller, simpler statement that is used to prove a larger statement. A theorem, on the other hand, is a statement that has been proven to be true and is used to explain or describe a particular concept or phenomenon.

3. What are some examples of lemmas in the integers from calculus?

Some examples of lemmas in the integers from calculus include the Euclidean algorithm, which is used to find the greatest common divisor of two integers, and the division algorithm, which states that any integer can be divided by another integer and leave a remainder.

4. How are lemmas in the integers from calculus used in real-world applications?

Lemmas in the integers from calculus are used in various real-world applications, such as cryptography, engineering, and finance. For example, the Euclidean algorithm is used in cryptography to generate public and private keys for secure communication. The division algorithm is used in finance to calculate interest rates and loan payments.

5. Are lemmas in the integers from calculus important for understanding calculus as a whole?

Yes, lemmas in the integers from calculus are important for understanding calculus as a whole. They provide the building blocks for more complex theorems and concepts in calculus, and they also demonstrate the fundamental principles and relationships between integers that are essential for a deeper understanding of calculus.