What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,796
My current favorite food are sorrentinos (Argentine pasta, similar to ravioli but bigger) filled with butternut squash and mozzarella. A pure pleasure.
Back in 2005 I made a trip to Peru and I've eaten so much and so many things (including a Guinea Pig). Gastronomically it's an unbelievable country, very rich if not the richest by far. I ate a lot of rice (arroz) as it seems to be popular. May I mention the famous ceviche. I'll never forget that day when we (the people I was living in their house and I) went to the restaurant and ordered ceviche; I started it by eating the red chili on the top of the raw fish. I've got "burned" so badly that I could not eat anything for some hours so I did not eat the ceviche that day.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,797
fluidistic said:
My current favorite food are sorrentinos (Argentine pasta, similar to ravioli but bigger) filled with butternut squash and mozzarella. A pure pleasure.
Back in 2005 I made a trip to Peru and I've eaten so much and so many things (including a Guinea Pig). Gastronomically it's an unbelievable country, very rich if not the richest by far. I ate a lot of rice (arroz) as it seems to be popular. May I mention the famous ceviche. I'll never forget that day when we (the people I was living in their house and I) went to the restaurant and ordered ceviche; I started it by eating the red chili on the top of the raw fish. I've got "burned" so badly that I could not eat anything for some hours so I did not eat the ceviche that day.

I spent a couple of weeks in Peru and it was amazing! What I left with most of all was a sense of music. Hard to describe, but it was something I felt the entire time I was there... this constant sense of music. The place can really get under your skin.

One day I was served what I thought was cake for dessert. It looked just like a white cake with white icing and sprinkles on top. Much to my surprise, it was made of potatoes!

I was there for work and spent a lot of time in a factory. I was treated as a special guest and sat with the president and upper management for lunch. We got meat for lunch, but only our table got meat. No one else did. And what we got was terrible! Then I made the mistake of inviting a mid-level manager to eat with us one day. BIG mistake. When he sat down the entire table fell silent and no one would speak until he got up and left the table. Whoops! I didn't realize until that moment just how class-based the culture is.

But eating at the hotel at night was a gastronomical delight to be sure. What a wonderful trip that was! Of the 300K airmiles I traveled over a period of a few years, that trip was the best. Less the part where upon landing we were held hostage at gunpoint at a miltary base for eight hours, with no food, water, or toilets, it was a great trip!

On another note, yesterday a friend informed me that he likes to make chocolate-covered bacon.

Last edited:
  • #4,798
Ivan Seeking said:
I spent a couple of weeks in Peru and it was amazing! What I left with most of all was a sense of music. Hard to describe, but it was something I felt the entire time I was there... this constant sense of music. The place can really get under your skin.
I also had an amazing trip. When I was in Lima I stayed in a very poor house near Pachacamac's ruins (quite far from the center of the city). This is where I've been introduced to salsa music (all day and night long, everywhere). Very special experience yes.

One day I was served what I thought was cake for dessert. It looked just like a white cake with white icing and sprinkles on top. Much to my surprise, it was made of potatoes!
Wow. I really liked what they call "camote" which is a potato with a sweet taste.
Also I've eaten some cucumber salad that was astonishing, it was watered with the juice of small lemons.

I was there for work and spent a lot of time in a factory. I was treated as a special guest and sat with the president and upper management for lunch. We got meat for lunch, but only our table got meat. No one else did. And what we got was terrible! Then I made the mistake of inviting a mid-level manager to eat with us one day. BIG mistake. When he sat down the entire table fell silent and no one would speak until he got up and left the table. Whoops! I didn't realize until that moment just how class-based the culture is.
That is funny!
But eating at the hotel at night was a gastronomical delight to be sure. What a wonderful trip that was! Of the 300K airmiles I traveled over a period of a few years, that trip was the best. Less the part where upon landing we were held hostage at gunpoint at a miltary base for eight hours, with no food, water, or toilets, it was a great trip!
Wow, how did the landing happen that way?!

• #4,799
fluidistic said:
I also had an amazing trip. When I was in Lima I stayed in a very poor house near Pachacamac's ruins (quite far from the center of the city). This is where I've been introduced to salsa music (all day and night long, everywhere). Very special experience yes.

IIRC I was about 30 miles outside of Lima. But I didn't mean that I always heard music... lot of that too though. And earthquakes almost every day. Funny thing too, it rained while I was there. They only get about a half to two inches a year. Us Oregonian just can't escape the rain no matter where we go!

Wow, how did the landing happen that way?!

On the flight down, Lima was fogged in. So we circled until we were low on fuel. Finally we had to fly about 500 miles North to a military base for refueling. When we landed, we were surrounded by soldiers with automatic weapons and forced to sit in the 100 degree heat with no ac, and as I said, with no other ammenities. We were not allowed to deplane. Before long the toilets were full and the the plane started to smell. We were all tired, hungry, thirsty, and some people started threatening violence. Worst of all, for the longest time we didn't know what the heck was going on. Turns out we were being held as long as Delta could stand it [joke]. The Peruvians were basically extorting Delta for some outrageous price for fuel. So they all let us sit there for about eight hours... like I said, as long as THEY could stand it.

In total we were on that plane for something like 24 hours. Long flight!

• #4,800
Ivan Seeking said:
IIRC I was about 30 miles outside of Lima. But I didn't mean that I always heard music... lot of that too though. And earthquakes almost every day. Funny thing too, it rained while I was there. They only get about a half to two inches a year. Us Oregonian just can't escape the rain no matter where we go!
Ah, I did not notice the earthquakes. About the rain, I only remember a very very thin "rain" and that they told me that that's basically the most rain they usuall get which is indeed quite funny.
On the flight down, Lima was fogged in. So we circled until we were low on fuel. Finally we had to fly about 500 miles North to a military base for refueling. When we landed, we were surrounded by soldiers with automatic weapons and forced to sit in the 100 degree heat with no ac, and as I said, with no other ammenities. We were not allowed to deplane. Before long the toilets were full and the the plane started to smell. We were all tired, hungry, thirsty, and some people started threatening violence. Worst of all, for the longest time we didn't know what the heck was going on. Turns out we were being held as long as Delta could stand it [joke]. The Peruvians were basically extorting Delta for some outrageous price for fuel. So they all let us sit there for about eight hours... like I said, as long as THEY could stand it.

In total we were on that plane for something like 24 hours. Long flight!
Wow, not a good experience for sure. About the fog, did you go there in their winter (i.e. summer in the USA)? I think Lima is permanently fogged in winter.

• #4,801
fluidistic said:
Ah, I did not notice the earthquakes. About the rain, I only remember a very very thin "rain" and that they told me that that's basically the most rain they usuall get which is indeed quite funny.
Wow, not a good experience for sure. About the fog, did you go there in their winter (i.e. summer in the USA)? I think Lima is permanently fogged in winter.

It must have been the end of March because I remember running into a bunch of physicists in Atlanta who had just attended the APS meeting that year; the one where the accelerating expansion [dark energy] of the universe was the hot topic. I found out about this while waiting for my connecting flight from Lima heading home. I heard two of them talking and joined in the conversation. Funny huh! I was also on Atlanta TV News that night talking about Bosnia as a man on the street. A very strange trip...

• #4,802
Ivan Seeking said:
It must have been the end of March because I remember running into a bunch of physicists in Atlanta who had just attended the APS meeting that year; the one where the accelerating expansion [dark energy] of the universe was the hot topic. I found out about this while waiting for my connecting flight from Lima heading home. I heard two of them talking and joined in the conversation. Funny huh! I was also on Atlanta TV News that night talking about Bosnia as a man on the street. A very strange trip...
You were in Bosnia? Bosnia via Lima to Oregon?

• #4,803
Evo said:
You were in Bosnia? Bosnia via Lima to Oregon?

Haha, no. At the time, the war in Bosnia was just starting... I think, anyway, the issue was the pending mass exodus of something like 100,000+ people due to ethnic cleansing, and I was asked what I think we should do about it. There was a news crew working the Atlanta airport. The timing was incredible because I had hardly slept in two or three days and suddenly I'm being video taped. But he said it was great and to watch the news at 5, or whatever it was. Never did get to see it though.

• #4,804
Seat of the Pants Soup. If you want to make an incredible soup and don't mind working without a detailed recipe, here you go.

Cube-cut a decent steak, and mince some yellow onions and garlic. Put the steak, onions, and garlic in the bottom of a hot soup-pot with peanut oil, and sear everything. Add a large can of ground sauce tomatoes ( I like Contadina) and a little water, plus the drained contents of a medium-sized can of black beans.

Now is the time to add barley, chopped carrots, frozen string beans and frozen whole-kernel corn. For a hearty soup, cumin and some cayenne should be in the mix, too. If the soup is a bit too runny, consider adding a small can of tomato paste and simmering longer, but consider that the barley will thicken the soup. I don't like to salt soups, because once the salt is in, you can't take it out. Ground celery seed can be a good addition.

Last edited:
  • #4,805
im so happy you guys had an extraordinary experience food wise in Peru. i will share you how to make ceviche. It is one of the easiest dishes you will ever make.

INGREDIENTS:

1. Freshness. THIS is the most important thing for a ceviche. The fish needs to be day caught and never frozen. The best fish to use for ceviche is pacific ocean flounder. 2nd alternative is 'corvina' or white sea bass.

2.The limes should be key west lime, since we are in the US, or try finding Mexican lemons that are really small about 2 inches. *Edit. if you are able to find, for some miracle, peruvian 'piura' lemons, those are the lemons you should use for ceviche. *

3. Red Onion. 1 per fish will do.

4. kosher salt, white pepper (or black).

5. OPTIONAL: 'Rocoto' or 'aji amarillo' if you can't find any of these, you can try using jalapenos.

Thats it...

Steps.

1. you'll need ~7-10 lemons per fish. (This is where you have to experiment, since fishes vary in size and lemons vary in liquid.)

1a. Squeeze lemons into bowl.Dont squeeze the lemons fully, because when you do, the outer shell *the rind*, which is bitter, also gets squeezed into the bowl.

1b. set aside.

1c. Cut the onions as thinly as you can. put into some kind of strainer. Add lots of salt on top of it and mix well. Leave in sink.

2. Cut the fish in cubes approx. 1/2 - 1 inch cubes. uniformity is key.

2a. place into a bowl. big enough bowl to move the fish freely for tossing.

3. OPTIONAL: if you're going to use any of the chili peppers I posted. Cut the chili in the middle and just rub the cut portion along the wall of the bowl. Make circles along the bowl to get the spiciness. (the longer you do this, the spicier it will get. adjust accordingly.)

3a. after 10-15 minutes water the salt away from the onions. use your hand to squeeze the onions' water. or you can use a salad spinner.

3b. add onions to where fish is.

4. splash in some lemon juice and use a wooden spoon to fold the fish over the liquid.

4a. add your salt and pepper to taste.

4b. continue to add lemon juice until the fish can no longer soak up the liquid. you can still add more lemon juice it will not 'destroy' the dish but the fish will no longer absorb more lemon juice. you can use the rest of the lemon, if there's any left over, to make a 'salsa criolla'. (ill post later if people are interested).

5. SERVE IMMEDIATELY. Some recipes will tell you to cook the fish in lemon 30 minutes. but dont. you want the fish taste and not the overpowering of lemon 'cooking' the fish.

Super Easy. Told ya. Hopefully, this makes sense. I'll answer any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,806
And to guarantee that you don't ingest live parasites from the fish, make sure the fish was frozen first.

http://seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood_safety/patients/parasites.php

Last edited:
  • #4,807
If you are weary about parasites, I guess go for frozen. I will never do that. Been eating ceviche for 25 years the same way and I am still ticking. :)

• #4,808
Hygeio said:
If you are weary about parasites, I guess go for frozen. I will never do that. Been eating ceviche for 25 years the same way and I am still ticking. :)
So was the person on tv last week, until the worm made it into their brain.

Here's a nice video about worms from raw fish.

• #4,809
Evo said:
So was the person on tv last week, until the worm made it into their brain.

ha! maybe the worm is typing this sentence.

• #4,810
Flash-frozen fish is also fresh, I'd even say fresher since in places the law dictates that the fish needs to be frozen on the boat right after it's caught.

I have a colleague who has no problem eating sushi that has been sitting in the grocery store fresh food aisle for days, I don't know.. I just think something is very wrong with that :yuck:

• #4,811
ya i will not eat fish after 2-3 days caught. (if kept in the fridge) a large population of japanese eat raw fish and they are fine. responsibly farmed fish is also a good route. buying from whole foods for example, you can be sure they are buying from responsible farmers.

• #4,812
Hygeio said:
ya i will not eat fish after 2-3 days caught. (if kept in the fridge) a large population of japanese eat raw fish and they are fine. responsibly farmed fish is also a good route. buying from whole foods for example, you can be sure they are buying from responsible farmers.
On Top Chef tv show, they had to throw out all of the shrimp they bought from Whole Foods, it was spoiled.

I won't buy from Whole foods, the produce I bought on several occasions had fruit lies. Had to throw everything out and spray the house, every time. No more.

• #4,813
Whoa ho ho! I just discovered these last night and they taste just like the real thing!

http://ozbo.com/media/24916.jpg [Broken]

and this is awesome

300.JPG

But to me, this stuff tastes tart - not good at all.

p170524b.jpg

But that's okay because this stuff is fantastic!

http://www.buythecase.net/uploads/products/200/5150004450.jpg

And so is this

5107RKQBK3L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

• #4,814
Hmm... nice signature...be prepared for an attack when Hostess soon goes out of business

• #4,815
Ivan Seeking said:
Whoa ho ho! I just discovered these last night and they taste just like the real thing!

[..]

And so is this

5107RKQBK3L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg
How do they get away with calling a product composed primarily of the oligosaccharide maltodextrin (glucose polymer), sugar free? It's converted into sugar the moment it enters the mouth, I hope diabetics are not reading those marketing slogans.

Last edited:
  • #4,816
Monique said:
How do they get away with calling a product composed primarily of the oligosaccharide maltodextrin (glucose polymer), sugar free? It's converted into sugar the moment it enters the mouth, I hope diabetics are not reading those marketing slogans.

The total grams of carbs are indicated, including sugar alcohols, which is the bottom line. But the equivalent content of sugar is still signficantly lower than regular treats.

Typically it is suggested that a 50% multiplier be used for the sugar equivalent of sugar alcohols.

• #4,817
Ivan Seeking said:
The total grams of carbs are indicated, including sugar alcohols, which is the bottom line. But the equivalent content of sugar is still signficantly lower than regular treats.

Typically it is suggested that a 50% multiplier be used for the sugar equivalent of sugar alcohols.
Good thing that nutritional facts must be listed. I checked the sugar content of the regular vs sugar-free product, which is 41% vs 40%. Maltodextrose is easily digested, so where does the 50% multiplier come from?

http://www.smuckers.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupId=4&categoryId=342&flavorId=749
http://www.smuckers.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupId=4&categoryId=8&flavorId=55

They should call the sugar-free brand fat-free, that would actually be true..

Last edited:
  • #4,818
I had no idea how good making a sire fry out of a smoked pork loin could be. Last summer I froze back a loin I smoked that I sliced up and stir fried with veggies. OMG Soooo gooood.

• #4,819
This saturday I'm having guests over for dinner, with the requirement of no egg, no dairy products, no tomato, no animal protein :eek: and two young kids that have their heart on their tongues

I have the first course covered, a beet/carrot soup that will be sweet with natural sugars. Now, for mains I'll probably make chickpeas with purple sweet potato and rocket.

My mind is boggled over the dessert... the only thing that comes to mind is a fruit salad, but it's January and thus not much is in season. Any ideas here for relatively simple desserts without eggs or dairy?

• #4,820
Monique said:
Any ideas here for relatively simple desserts without eggs or dairy?

stoofpeertjes?, (http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/566/)?

• #4,821
Good idea. Somehow I disregarded it since it requires wine (the kids are ~6 & 8), but all the alcohol should evaporate (and I could use juice as in the second recipe). My mom used to make stewed pears for dinner, with boiled potatoes and breaded chicken.. yummy!

• #4,822
Andre said:
stoofpeertjes?, (http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/566/)?
The pears were a big success, thanks for the idea! I stewed halved pears in sugar water with a cinnamon stick, two cloves and a piece of lemon rind and it turned out great: to be repeated :biggrin:

Yesterday I also had dinner guests, I was plating up the first course and one of the guest says: "oh, I don't like to eat cheese" :uhh: great timing when the most of the cooking has been done. There was nothing I could do at that point, but fortunately he ate everything and actually liked it.

• #4,823
Tomorrow would be a good day for a bisque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisque_(food [Broken])

or clam chowder.

• #4,824
Don't pay for Chicken of the Sea "premium" crabmeat. It is bland and lacks the sweetness of the real thing.

• #4,825
turbo said:
Don't pay for Chicken of the Sea "premium" crabmeat. It is bland and lacks the sweetness of the real thing.
Well, it IS canned. :uhh:

• #4,826
I'm used to peekytoe (rock) crab, which is native to Maine waters. Very sweet!

Those crabs were a lobstering by-catch for many years, though lots of lobstermen would keep them and give them or sell them (cheap) often to elderly people who would steam the crabs, pick the meat and pack it for sale. Some of the best crab you can get. I don't think they survive shipping well, so getting fresh peekytoes in a restaurant will be nigh impossible. My father's closest neighbor is a lobsterman, and he gave crabs to an elderly couple in his village. It's a welcome source of income for the crab-pickers. Many are retired fishermen with no pensions.

• #4,827
I made corned beef and cabbage last night and I'm having the leftovers today. Yummm. Just stick the corned beef in a pot, cover it with water, bring to a boil. Dump that seasoning packet stuff in, let it simmer for 3 hours. That's the ticket. Add a head of cabbage, some carrots, onions, red potatoes about 40 minutes before its done. Voila.

It's even better the next day, add some stone ground mustard. Life's good.

• #4,828
NEW YORK (AP) -- Grey Poupon's famous "Pardon Me" TV commercial is returning for a moment of Oscar glory.

After a 16-year hiatus, the mustard that mocked its own stuffy image in one of TV's most famous commercials will once again take to the airwaves during the Academy Awards show on Feb. 24. The spot comes as Kraft Foods looks to boost sagging sales of the Dijon mustard, which is facing competition from a growing variety of high-end condiments on supermarket shelves.

. . . .
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/grey-poupon-air-pardon-ads-114126721.html

Consumption of mustard is down about 2%, but consumption of hot sauce is rising!

• #4,829
DiracPool said:
I made corned beef and cabbage last night and I'm having the leftovers today. Yummm. Just stick the corned beef in a pot, cover it with water, bring to a boil. Dump that seasoning packet stuff in, let it simmer for 3 hours. That's the ticket. Add a head of cabbage, some carrots, onions, red potatoes about 40 minutes before its done. Voila.

It's even better the next day, add some stone ground mustard. Life's good.

*drool* I'm going to do that this weekend!

• #4,830
No, I don't have any grey poop on.

<h2>What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?</h2><p>1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.</p><p>2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.</p><p>3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.</p><p>4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?</p><p>No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.</p><p>5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?</p><p>Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.</p>

What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

1. What types of food are typically discussed in the Food Thread on PF?

The Food Thread on PF is a place for members to share and discuss all types of food, from home-cooked meals to restaurant recommendations. You can expect to see a variety of cuisines and dishes being discussed, as well as tips and tricks for cooking and eating out.

2. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in the Food Thread on PF. Please make sure all posts are related to food and follow the community guidelines for respectful and appropriate discussion. Additionally, do not share any copyrighted material or spam the thread with excessive self-promotion.

3. Can I ask for recipes or cooking advice in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, the Food Thread on PF is a great place to ask for recipes or cooking advice. Many members are happy to share their favorite recipes or offer tips and tricks for improving your cooking skills. Just be sure to be specific in your requests and thank those who offer their help.

4. Is the Food Thread on PF only for experienced cooks and foodies?

No, the Food Thread on PF is open to everyone regardless of their level of cooking experience. Whether you are a beginner looking for simple recipes or a seasoned chef looking to share your expertise, you are welcome to participate in the discussion. We encourage a friendly and supportive environment for all members.

5. Can I post pictures of food in the Food Thread on PF?

Yes, sharing pictures of food is encouraged in the Food Thread on PF. It's a great way to showcase your cooking skills or share delicious meals you've had at restaurants. However, please be mindful of any food allergies or sensitivities that other members may have and include a description of the dish in your post.