Skin/hair bug looks like a lobster?

• Thread starter 1plus1is10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, there are two species of Demodex mites that live on our skin, one in hair follicles and the other in oil glands. These mites are more active at night and can increase in number as we age. They are also known as eyelash mites and can cause itching. They are related to crustaceans and have been featured in a documentary. Despite their potential creepiness, they have become popular online with various pictures and memes.
1plus1is10
Years ago I remember watching a "documentary?" on TV about our skin or hair (my best guess is hair). It was about all of the microscopic "bugs" that live on us. And the best I remember, there was one that looked like a lobster.

Anyone know the name of this "bug"?
(I've tried Google with no success.)

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Most likely some mite.

Agree, it should've been a mite. Chelicerates are very related to crustaceans such as lobsters.

There are two species of Demodex mites that live, breed, and die on our skin. One species lives most of it life head down in hair follicles, The other in oil glands, head down. Their wanderings are more pronounced at night. As you age you eventually develop your own personal load of these little guys.

Pictures and a "popular" version of these beasties:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...crawl-and-have-sex-on-your-face/#.UOoY9sU8CSo

1plus1is10 said:
Anyone know the name of this "bug"?
Borek said:
Most likely some mite.

Lol... that mite be a good pun??

OCR

jim mcnamara said:
There are two species of Demodex mites that live, breed, and die on our skin. One species lives most of it life head down in hair follicles, The other in oil glands, head down. Their wanderings are more pronounced at night. As you age you eventually develop your own personal load of these little guys.

Pictures and a "popular" version of these beasties:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...crawl-and-have-sex-on-your-face/#.UOoY9sU8CSo

Evo said:
Thanks guys. My eyebrows and eyelashes have been itching constantly since I read your posts and clicked your links.

Fredrik said:
Thanks guys. My eyebrows and eyelashes have been itching constantly since I read your posts and clicked your links.

You should be glad its eyebrows and eyelashes, there are other animals that we could link to.

1. What is a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster?

A skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster is commonly known as a pubic louse or "crab" louse. It is a parasitic insect that feeds on human blood and is typically found in the pubic hair region.

2. How do you know if you have a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster?

If you have a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster, you may experience intense itching in the affected area. You may also notice small red bumps or bite marks on the skin. These bugs are visible to the naked eye, so you may also be able to see them crawling on the skin or in the hair.

3. How is a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster transmitted?

A skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster is primarily transmitted through close physical contact with an infected person. This can include sexual contact or sharing personal items such as clothing, towels, or bedding.

4. Can a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster cause any health problems?

While a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster is considered a nuisance and can cause intense itching and discomfort, it is not known to transmit any diseases. However, excessive scratching can lead to skin infections, so it is important to seek treatment if you suspect you have been exposed to these bugs.

5. How can a skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster be treated?

A skin/hair bug that looks like a lobster can be treated with over-the-counter or prescription medicated shampoos, lotions, or creams. It is also important to wash and dry all clothing, bedding, and towels on high heat to kill any remaining bugs. If you are unsure of how to properly treat these bugs, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional.