Register to reply

Ligand field theory and CuCl2 colors

by khanhhung2512
Tags: colors, cucl2, field, ligand, theory
Share this thread:
khanhhung2512
Nov28-13, 07:10 AM
P: 15
Copper (ii) chloride is a light brown solid, which slowly absorbs moisture to form a blue-green dihydrate.
According to ligand field theory, water is a stronger field ligand than chloride. As a result, the dihydrate form should have a larger d orbital splitting than the anhydrous form. Thus, the color (complementary to the wavelength absorbed) of the dihydrate form should have a longer wavelength than the anhydrous form's. But why is the opposite observed here?
If my reasoning is not correct, then please tell me the reason for the color change above.
Thank you very much.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
Borek
Nov28-13, 07:56 AM
Admin
P: 23,389
Unless I am missing something, you got it wrong. Larger d orbital splitting means higher energy difference so a shorter wavelength.
khanhhung2512
Nov28-13, 10:17 AM
Well, the color we see is complementary to the color absorbed.

DrDu
Nov28-13, 10:36 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,564
Ligand field theory and CuCl2 colors

There are a zillion of possible explanations.
There can be charge-transfer transitions invoved which have a much higher oscillator strength than the weak d-d transitions.
Also in the hydrated chloride there are two water molecules along the axis and four chlorines in the equatorial plane, so this complex doesn't have a symmetry octahedral symmetry.
Borek
Nov28-13, 02:04 PM
Admin
P: 23,389
Quote Quote by khanhhung2512 View Post
Well, the color we see is complementary to the color absorbed.
That's what I missed
khanhhung2512
Nov28-13, 10:59 PM
These are two answers I found on the net http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5202418AA2v9AN
While both answers seem wrong to me, one mentioned Advanced Inorganic Chemistry 6th ed (1999). p 868-869 (F. A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C. A. Murillo, M. Bochmann). If anyone has access to that book, please tell me what it really said.
Thanks.
PS: I only have access to the third edition of that book, so I don't know the corresponding pages.

Register to reply