Measurement of voltage and current

In summary: Yes, that is correct. It takes a boat load of certifications for it even to be legal to go anywhere near 230KV.
Young Learner
Is there a way in electrical engineering where I can convert
230 KV to 5 V such that the 5 V wave has same amplitude, phase and frequency as that of 230 KV.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is very high voltage - don't even think of getting within 30 feet of that high of voltage.

If it had the same amplitude it wouldn't be 5V but 230kV.

I assume by "same amplitude" you mean that any amplitude variation in the 230KV would show up in the 5V. For example, maybe you want to build a regulated tesla coil so you use a pickup loop to monitor the high voltage and keep it constant.

Anyway, down conversion of 230Kv AC is done by transformers. Huge power stations convert 230KV power lines to usable voltages. A pickup coil near a transmission line could produce 5V.

Can you be more specific regarding what you are trying to do?

meBigGuy said:
I assume by "same amplitude" you mean that any amplitude variation in the 230KV would show up in the 5V. For example, maybe you want to build a regulated tesla coil so you use a pickup loop to monitor the high voltage and keep it constant.

Anyway, down conversion of 230Kv AC is done by transformers. Huge power stations convert 230KV power lines to usable voltages. A pickup coil near a transmission line could produce 5V.

Can you be more specific regarding what you are trying to do?

I was trying to make a paper on synchronizing alternators. If I can monitor the amplitude phase and frequency of two generators, then I thought that I could synchronize them using a differential amplifier or a simple logic gate.
For amplifiers and gate to work I wanted a low voltage waveform which is analogues to high voltage of the transformers.
All I wanted was a low voltage waveform which changes simultaneously according to the high voltage waveform so that I can use it for synchronizing purposes.

mr_pavlo said:
If it had the same amplitude it wouldn't be 5V but 230kV.

Ah! that shows my ignorance.
I meant the low voltage wave must vary in accordance with the high voltage wave.

Everytime you plug your phone into the wall you get 5 volts into your phone...that was once 230KV running down the powerlines. Only difference is they convert to DC...so just skip the rectifier in the last transformer.

So yes, very possible to convert since done all day, every day. (assuming different amplitude, obviously)

Multiple tranformers at specific points will do the trick.

psparky said:
Everytime you plug your phone into the wall you get 5 volts into your phone...that was once 230KV running down the powerlines. Only difference is they convert to DC...so just skip the rectifier in the last transformer.

So yes, very possible to convert since done all day, every day. (assuming different amplitude, obviously)

Multiple tranformers at specific points will do the trick.

That is fine. But the thing which worries me is the cost.
Approximately how much will it cost to step down 230 KV to 5 V.

Last edited:

What is voltage and current?

Voltage is the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, measured in volts. Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes.

How are voltage and current measured?

Voltage is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured. Current is measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series to the component or circuit.

What is the difference between AC and DC voltage and current?

AC (alternating current) voltage and current change direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage and current flow in one direction only. AC is typically used for power distribution, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

Why is it important to measure voltage and current accurately?

Accurate measurement of voltage and current is crucial in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and ensuring their proper functioning. It is also important for safety purposes, as incorrect measurements could lead to damage or malfunction of equipment.

How is voltage and current used in scientific research?

Voltage and current are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the properties of materials, analyze the behavior of electronic devices, and conduct experiments in electricity and magnetism.