Lift Formula: SI Units & Coefficient of Lift

In summary, the lift formula is F=Cl/2PV^2S and the coefficient of lift is often experimentally derived from wind tunnel tests. The standard units in SI are used for each value, with density (ρ) in kg/m^3, velocity (V) in m/s, and area (A) in m^2. CL is a dimensionless number and can be calculated using the equation CL = L/(0.5ρSV^2). However, the setup of the wind tunnel can affect the results, so it is important to use flow straighteners to minimize turbulence from the fan. Alternatives like an aircon or air cooler may not work as well for this purpose.
itsjustme
About the lift formula i know its "F= Cl/2 P V^2 S" but my questions are what units do you use for each value (still SI?) and is there any formula for finding the caofiscient of lift, if not then how do you find it out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Coefficient of lift is an experimentally derived value in most cases, i.e. wind tunnel tests. There are tabulated values in many text for basic shapes like spheres and flat plates.

As far as the units go, the standard units in SI are
[tex]\rho[/tex] is in [tex]\frac{kg}{m^3}[/tex]

[tex]V[/tex] is in [tex]\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]A[/tex] is in [tex]m^2[/tex]

Of course, CL is a dimensionless number.

CL = L/(0.5*ro*S*V^2)

jaap de vries said:
CL = L/(0.5*ro*S*V^2)
thanks FredGarvin. you know jaap de vries i was actually thinking the same thing but i rearenged the equation and it read CL = 2L/(1*ro*S*V^2) anyway then i thought that if i measured the mass of the foil plus the straw (refer to diagram) and then timesed it by 9.8 i would get the ammoung of lift produced when the foil is neither climbing nor descending, after getting it in balance measure the airspeed at the foil.
Diagram (click on it to expand):
HBwindtunnel.JPG

Itsjustme,

If this is the setup of your windtunnel it means that the airstream hits the airfoil with a lot of swirl from the fan. That is because there are no flow straighteners. This can have significant effect on the stall onset point etc.
When you use SI units than everything becomes pretty straightforward.

Jaap

Ok, if a fan won't work well then would an aircon or an air cooler?

1. What is the lift formula and how is it calculated?

The lift formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of lift generated by an object, such as an airplane wing, as it moves through a fluid, such as air. It is calculated by multiplying the air density, airspeed, wing surface area, and the coefficient of lift.

2. What are SI units and why are they used in the lift formula?

SI units, or the International System of Units, are a standard set of measurements used in science and engineering. They are used in the lift formula because they provide a consistent and universal way to measure and calculate the various variables involved in lift, such as air density and speed.

3. What is the coefficient of lift and how does it affect lift?

The coefficient of lift is a dimensionless number that represents the efficiency of an object's shape in generating lift. It is influenced by factors such as the shape and angle of the object, and it determines the amount of lift that can be generated at a given airspeed. A higher coefficient of lift means more lift can be generated.

4. How does the lift formula apply to different types of objects?

The lift formula can be applied to a variety of objects that move through a fluid, including airplane wings, helicopter blades, and even birds' wings. However, the specific values for the variables in the formula will vary depending on the shape and design of the object. For example, a bird's wing will have a different wing surface area and coefficient of lift than an airplane wing.

5. Are there any limitations to the lift formula?

While the lift formula is a useful tool for predicting lift, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is behaving as a perfect, inviscid fluid, which is not always the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that may affect lift, such as turbulence or airfoil shape. Therefore, the lift formula should be used as a general guide rather than an exact predictor of lift in all situations.