Centrifugal Pressure - Ideal Gas Compressibility Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating pressure in a centrifuge when dealing with a compressible gas. The speaker shares their approach using the distribution law of Boltzmann and the ideal gas law, but notes that at low velocities, the calculated pressure is significantly higher than expected. The conversation ends with the speaker seeking a solution or formula to accurately calculate pressure in this scenario.
dushak
(see also attached .doc)
There is an ideal gas in the centrifuge; no flows, everything is steady (not very steady in fact - process is adiabatic). If gas is incompressible, it is very easy:
P=0.5 rho (w*r)^2
But my gas is compressible, and it's a trouble.
I started from distribution law of Bolzman (with C = Bolzman constant):
n=n0 exp(mgx/CT)
,hence
d(ln n)=(M * w^2 * r) dr / RT
,where M is molar mass of gas
after integrating this equation (also used PV/T=const and PV^k=const) I got:
P/P0 = { 1 + (k-1)*Mv^2/(2*R*T0) } ^ [k/(k-1)]
,where
k=Cp/Cv
v=w*r
And now goes the trouble. At low velocities (and low compression ratios) the last equation must transform into the first: deltaP=0.5 rho v^2 / 2
But it doesn't! Using the rule (1+x)^a = 1+a*x ,when x<<1 we have:
P/P0 = 1 + k*Mv^2 / 2RT0
deltaP/P0 = k*Mv^2 / 2RT0
deltaP = k*rho*v^2 / 2
,which is k time larger...
So what is wrong? Or anybody have a ready-for-use formula?

Attachments

• There is an ideal gas in the centrifuge.doc
    27 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org
dushak said:
(see also attached .doc)
There is an ideal gas in the centrifuge; no flows, everything is steady (not very steady in fact - process is adiabatic). If gas is incompressible, it is very easy:
P=0.5 rho (w*r)^2
But my gas is compressible, and it's a trouble.
I started from distribution law of Bolzman (with C = Bolzman constant):
n=n0 exp(mgx/CT)
,hence
d(ln n)=(M * w^2 * r) dr / RT
,where M is molar mass of gas
after integrating this equation (also used PV/T=const and PV^k=const) I got:
P/P0 = { 1 + (k-1)*Mv^2/(2*R*T0) } ^ [k/(k-1)]
,where
k=Cp/Cv
v=w*r
And now goes the trouble. At low velocities (and low compression ratios) the last equation must transform into the first: deltaP=0.5 rho v^2 / 2
But it doesn't! Using the rule (1+x)^a = 1+a*x ,when x<<1 we have:
P/P0 = 1 + k*Mv^2 / 2RT0
deltaP/P0 = k*Mv^2 / 2RT0
deltaP = k*rho*v^2 / 2
,which is k time larger...
So what is wrong? Or anybody have a ready-for-use formula?

i am interested in the solution, did you find one?

FWIW i don't see what Boltzmann's dist has to do with it, can't you just integrate the ideal gas law with an acceleration correction?

i think it makes a lot of difference if the centrifuge is open or closed at the top, having the constraint of fixed total mass will probably change the form of the solution.

If this is a steady state situation, isn't the temperature constant? Sure there is a transient adiabatic temp change when the centrifuge starts up, but conduction in the gas will get rid of that in the steady state.

So I think you have an ideal gas, with pressure and density varying with radius, and a force dm.r.omega^2 = rho.A.dr.r.omega^2 on the gas between radius r and r+dr.

i think you must have meant to substitute the ideal gas law where one on the centrifugal forces is, as you have it the r.omega^2's just cancel out.

another way to say it, the difference in pressure difference across the layer must be caused by the force on the layer (area cancels, i think)

so: dP=w.w.r.dm=w.w.r.dr.P/RT

integrate over range , P;Po to P and r;0 to r,

so P/Po=K.Exp(w.w.r.r/2RT)

and with w=0, P=Po so K=1

so P/Po = Exp(w.w.r.r/2RT)

does this seem OK?

I was just writng the mass in 2 different ways - sorry if that was confusing.

To be pedantic A.dP = w.w.r.dm (what you wrote says "pressure = force" which isn't right)

and using dm = rho.dV = rho.A.dr the area cancels out and dP = w.w.r.dr.P/RT

1. What is centrifugal pressure?

Centrifugal pressure is the force exerted on a rotating object due to its own angular velocity. In the context of ideal gas compressibility, it refers to the pressure exerted on a gas as it is compressed by a centrifugal compressor.

2. How does centrifugal pressure affect gas compressibility?

Centrifugal pressure plays a key role in gas compressibility because it contributes to the overall pressure of the gas. As the gas is compressed, the centrifugal pressure increases and helps to push the gas molecules closer together, resulting in a higher pressure and density.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to centrifugal pressure?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. Centrifugal pressure is included in this equation as it is a component of the overall pressure of the gas.

4. How does the compressibility factor of an ideal gas change with centrifugal pressure?

The compressibility factor, which is a measure of how much a real gas deviates from ideal behavior, decreases with increasing centrifugal pressure. This is because the gas molecules are closer together and experience stronger intermolecular forces, making them less ideal.

5. What are some practical applications of studying centrifugal pressure in ideal gas compressibility?

Understanding centrifugal pressure in ideal gas compressibility is important in many industrial and engineering processes, such as gas pipelines, refrigeration, and air conditioning. It also has applications in the design and operation of centrifugal compressors and turbines used in various industries.