Verifying Solutions of de Broglie Form of Schr. Eqn

In summary, the two given wave functions do satisfy the de Broglie form of the Schrödinger equation. After simplifying both equations, we can see that they both result in the de Broglie relation of p=\hbar k and E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m}.
UrbanXrisis
I am to show that neither of the two wave functions [tex]\psi_1 (x,t) = M_1 e^{kx-\omega t}[/tex] and [tex]\psi_2 (x,t) = M_2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex] solve the de Broglie form of Schr. Eqn:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \frac{\partial ^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}[/tex]

for the first wave, i got:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} M_1 k^2 e^{kx-wt}=-i \omega \hbar M_1 e^{kx-\omega t}[/tex]

for the second wave, i got:
[tex]\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} M_2 k^2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}= \omega \hbar M_2 e^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex]

i was just wondering if I did these differentiation correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you did the differentiations correctly. I am confused by your task to show that neither function satisfies the Schrodinger equation when in fact both do as you have just shown

well, all I have to do is to show that they are not equal. Because if i simplify both of those equations, do not get the de Broglie relation of: [tex]\hbar \omega = \frac{\hbar ^2 k^2}{2m}[/tex]

What do you mean...? You do get the deBroglie relation

[tex]p=\hbar k [/tex]

and so [tex] E=\frac{p^{2}}{2m} [/tex]

Daniel.

1. What is the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation?

The de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation is a mathematical expression used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It relates the wave function of a particle to its energy and potential.

2. How is the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation derived?

The de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation is derived from the standard form of Schrödinger's equation by substituting the de Broglie wavelength, which is equal to Planck's constant divided by the particle's momentum, for the wave function.

3. What is the significance of verifying solutions of the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation?

Verifying solutions of the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation is important because it ensures that the mathematical representation accurately describes the behavior of a particle in quantum mechanics. It also allows for the prediction and understanding of a particle's behavior under different conditions.

4. How are solutions of the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation verified?

Solutions of the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation are verified by comparing them to experimental data and observations. If the solutions accurately predict the behavior of a particle, they are considered verified.

5. What are some applications of the de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation?

The de Broglie form of Schrödinger's equation has many applications in physics, including the study of atoms, molecules, and other particles in quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and electron microscopes.