Wormholes and the casimir effect

In summary, Wormholes are theoretical tunnels or shortcuts through space-time that are believed to exist due to the equations of general relativity. The Casimir Effect, on the other hand, is a physical phenomenon that occurs due to the presence of quantum fluctuations in a vacuum. These fluctuations create a force that can be harnessed to potentially create and stabilize wormholes. While the existence of wormholes and the practicality of utilizing the Casimir Effect to create them is still a topic of debate and ongoing research, these concepts offer intriguing possibilities for interstellar travel and understanding the fundamental nature of the universe.
imperium2600
can a wormhole be sustained by the emitions from the casimir effect and what would be the proposed setup of the whole device

Physics news on Phys.org
Asking this opens up a can of worms :biggrin:

vanesch said:
Asking this opens up a can of worms :biggrin:

I hope you didn't stay up late on that one... :biggrin:

To the original poster: your question needs clarification because Casimir effect has nothing much to do with wormholes. They are at opposite ends of the physics spectrum.

ive done a lot of reading on this, and I am just not finding any connections between a casimir effects negative energy and wormhole sustaining

mostly I am trying to explore different ways of manipulating spacetime, not that i hope to accomplish much but I am mostly self educated and literature on this topic isn't widely available

from what i understand the negative energy could possibley repel spacetime away from it creating a 'gap' of complete nothingness. what i want to know is how would this 'gap' be utilized. for example travel to another point in space, and how the process would be different from another point in time

besides having one gate stationary and accelerating the other gate at light speed and then using the stationary one to instantly transport to the other transporting you back in time and through space

personally i think that light speed travel is a waste of time and I am only interested in ways around it if possible

mostly I am interested in any equations or theories that i can apply to this or time travel or wormhole travel in general, i have a lot in my notes, but nothing of any real value to me

another thing id like to know if anyone out there has any answers, is if its possible to travel via a wormhole slowly. as in travel back in time 2 years and the trip lasting 2 years. everytime i think i find some useful information online the end of the article mentions ufology and ancient culture alien codes in hyroglyphs as the source of the information, and so i just ignore it altogether to avoid any future embarassment

please feel free to criticize any ideas I've proposed because its all helpful in my search for knowledge on this topic

What "knowledge"?

What you want is something that isn't verified or well-established in physics. This means that there is either (i) no answer or (ii) more than one possible scenario. What you want to know are various speculative ideas on this. Unless you have some specific basis as a foundation, this would violate our speculative guidelines.

Zz.

is everyone on here so cynical? if so then I am never leaving

but really, i need something constructive, if i was to experiment with the casimir effect, what feasible setup would i need if anyone has some first hand experience in this

i can find it on the net, but i would like to know from someone who has tried it themselves, what works and what is feasible for someone with a moderate spending allowance on equipment

Imperium,

The Casimir effect as source of exotic matter to hold open a wormhole was considered seriously a long time ago. Take a look at M. Morris, K. Thorne, and U. Yurtsever, "Wormholes, Time Machines, and the Weak Energy Condition", Phys. Rev. Lett., 61, 1446 (1988).

The arrangement they considered involved two huge concentric spherical shells of metal. The radius of these spheres was 93 million miles, yet their separation still had to be tiny ~ 10^(-10) cm. Not conducive to easy set up in your garage.

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure that connects two points in space-time, potentially allowing for faster-than-light travel or time travel.

2. How are wormholes formed?

Wormholes are currently only a concept in theoretical physics, but they are predicted to potentially form through the warping of space-time by massive objects, such as black holes.

3. Can we travel through a wormhole?

Theoretically, it is possible to travel through a wormhole, but it would require advanced technology and a great understanding of the laws of physics. Currently, there is no evidence or technology that allows for this type of travel.

4. What is the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a physical phenomenon that occurs due to the presence of quantum fluctuations in a vacuum. It results in a force between two uncharged, parallel plates, which is stronger the closer the plates are together.

5. How does the Casimir effect relate to wormholes?

The Casimir effect has been proposed as a possible mechanism for stabilizing wormholes, as it could counteract the immense gravitational forces that would otherwise collapse the wormhole. However, this is purely theoretical and has not been proven or observed in any way.