Exploring the Mentality of Porphyria's Lover - Why Did He Do It?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker describes the passionate love between himself and Porphyria. When Porphyria decides to defy her family and be with the speaker, the poem jumps into the modern world. The sexual acts between the two are portrayed as natural and accepted, and the love between them is highlighted as the only thing that is important. The poem ends with Porphyria dead, and the speaker wondering what he has done.
heman
The rain set early in tonight,
The sullen wind was soon awake,
It tore the elm-tops down for spite,
And did its worst to vex the lake:
I listened with heart fit to break.
When glided in Porphyria; straight
She shut the cold out and the storm,
And kneeled and made the cheerless grate
Blaze up, and all the cottage warm;
Which done, she rose, and from her form
Withdrew the dripping cloak and shawl,
And laid her soiled gloves by, untied
Her hat and let the damp hair fall,
And, last, she sat down by my side
And called me. When no voice replied,
She put my arm about her waist,
And made her smooth white shoulder bare,
And all her yellow hair displaced,
And, stooping, made my cheek lie there,
And spread, o'er all, her yellow hair,
Murmuring how she loved me — she
Too weak, for all her heart's endeavor,
To set its struggling passion free
From pride, and vainer ties dissever,
And give herself to me forever.
But passion sometimes would prevail,
Nor could tonight's gay feast restrain
A sudden thought of one so pale
For love of her, and all in vain:
So, she was come through wind and rain.
Be sure I looked up at her eyes
Happy and proud; at last l knew
Porphyria worshiped me: surprise
Made my heart swell, and still it grew
While I debated what to do.
That moment she was mine, mine, fair,
Perfectly pure and good: I found
A thing to do, and all her hair
In one long yellow string l wound
Three times her little throat around,
And strangled her. No pain felt she;
I am quite sure she felt no pain.
As a shut bud that holds a bee,
I warily oped her lids: again
Laughed the blue eyes without a stain.
And l untightened next the tress
About her neck; her cheek once more
Blushed bright beneath my burning kiss:
I propped her head up as before,
Only, this time my shoulder bore
Her head, which droops upon it still:
The smiling rosy little head,
So glad it has its utmost will,
That all it scorned at once is fled,
And I, its love, am gained instead!
Porphyria's love: she guessed not how
Her darling one wish would be heard.
And thus we sit together now,
And all night long we have not stirred,
And yet God has not said aword!

What makes you think about the mentality of the lover?why did he do so>?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did I read it right? Was he a psycho?

http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/browning/section1.html
This poem is a dramatic monologue--a fictional speech presented as the musings of a speaker who is separate from the poet. Like most of Browning's other dramatic monologues, this one captures a moment after a main event or action. Porphyria already lies dead when the speaker begins. Just as the nameless speaker seeks to stop time by killing her, so too does this kind of poem seek to freeze the consciousness of an instant.
Commentary
"Porphyria's Lover" opens with a scene taken straight from the Romantic poetry of the earlier nineteenth century. While a storm rages outdoors, giving a demonstration of nature at its most sublime, the speaker sits in a cozy cottage. This is the picture of rural simplicity--a cottage by a lake, a rosy-cheeked girl, a roaring fire. However, once Porphyria begins to take off her wet clothing, the poem leaps into the modern world. She bares her shoulder to her lover and begins to caress him; this is a level of overt sexuality that has not been seen in poetry since the Renaissance. We then learn that Porphyria is defying her family and friends to be with the speaker; the scene is now not just sexual, but transgressively so. Illicit sex out of wedlock presented a major concern for Victorian society; the famous Victorian "prudery" constituted only a backlash to what was in fact a popular obsession with the theme: the newspapers of the day reveled in stories about prostitutes and unwed mothers. Here, however, in "Porphyria's Lover," sex appears as something natural, acceptable, almost wholesome: Porphyria's girlishness and affection take prominence over any hints of immorality.

My high school English teacher was very into this piece, I have no clue why though, I disliked it.

i am not interested in what's present already on net about it...

---there are many interpretations which can be derived about him...

What i thought abt this was the poet has mocked love,,,a line needs to be drawn between true love and possessiveness..love's abt happiness...what you think?

1. Why did Porphyria's lover kill her?

There are several possible interpretations for why Porphyria's lover killed her. Some believe that he was driven by jealousy and a desire to possess her completely. Others argue that he was mentally unstable and unable to control his actions. Still, some suggest that he may have been motivated by a twisted sense of love and a desire to preserve the perfect moment with Porphyria.

2. Was Porphyria's lover insane?

There is no definitive answer to whether Porphyria's lover was insane. Some see his actions as evidence of psychosis, while others view him as a calculating and deliberate murderer. It is possible that he suffered from a mental illness such as bipolar disorder, which could have influenced his behavior.

3. Did Porphyria's lover regret killing her?

It is unclear if Porphyria's lover regretted killing her. Some argue that his actions in the poem show a sense of remorse and guilt, while others believe that he was unfeeling and unrepentant. It is possible that he experienced conflicting emotions, both regretting his actions and reveling in the power he gained by taking Porphyria's life.

4. What does the poem suggest about the mentality of the killer?

The poem suggests that the killer is deeply troubled and has a warped sense of love and possession. He is obsessed with Porphyria and sees her as a possession rather than a human being. He is also jealous and resentful of her social status and may have felt a need to control and dominate her. However, the exact mentality of the killer is open to interpretation and can vary among readers.

5. Could the killer's mentality be a result of societal norms and expectations?

Some argue that the killer's mentality could be a result of societal norms and expectations. In Victorian society, men were expected to be in control and dominant, while women were seen as subservient and inferior. This power dynamic may have influenced the killer's actions and mentality towards Porphyria. Additionally, the societal pressure to conform to traditional gender roles may have suppressed any feelings of love and tenderness the killer may have had for Porphyria, leading to a twisted understanding of love and possession.