Low Voltage Galvanic Cell Troubleshooting

In summary, the speaker had to make a galvanic cell for their chemistry class with a desired voltage of 2.3, but only achieved a voltage of .5. The cell was made of iron and aluminum electrodes, with a potassium nitrate salt bridge. The speaker wonders why the voltage was so low and mentions sanding the electrodes to expose fresh metal. They then ask about the concentrations of the iron and aluminum nitrate solutions. Another person responds, suggesting the use of the Nernst equation to calculate the theoretical cell potential under non-standard conditions. They also provide a link to a website explaining the Nernst equation and mention that the concentrations should have been around 1 Molar to achieve the desired voltage. The other person
Tido611
I had to make a galvanic cell for my chemistry class and it was supposed to have a voltage of 2.3 but for some reason it only was .5. My cell was comprised of a iron and aluminim electrode with the respective nitrates.( potassium nitrate salt bridge) it was wondering if anybody knew why it would have such a low voltage. I sanded the electrodes to expose fresh umoxidesed metal.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What were the concentrations of the Iron and Aluminum Nitrate solutions?

The stamdard reduction potentials of the two metals are measured under standard cell conditions, one of which being a 1 M solution.

Using the nernst equation,
http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/nernst_equation.htm
one could find the theoretical cell potential under non standard cell conditions by knowing the standard reduction potentials, temperature, and concentraiton of the two solutions using in the galvanic cel.

Last edited by a moderator:
they were 1mol concentrations, that page would probably be really helpful if i understood it, the introductary stuf was removed too. Any other sources?

There are plenty of other pages descring the nernst equation, just do a http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nernst+equation".
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/Chemical/electrode.html

If the concentrations were about 1 Molar, you should have been getting pretty close to the standard cell potentials.
The only other thing I could think of is that perhaps the RedOx reaction which is occurring is not the reaction you are anticipating...something is not getting oxidized/reduced the way you think, perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a low voltage galvanic cell?

A low voltage galvanic cell is a type of electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is made up of two electrodes - a positive electrode (also called the anode) and a negative electrode (also called the cathode) - that are immersed in an electrolyte solution. The flow of electrons between the two electrodes creates a small electrical current.

2. How do I know if my low voltage galvanic cell is not functioning properly?

There are a few signs that indicate a low voltage galvanic cell may not be working correctly. These include a decrease in the voltage output, unusual noises or odors coming from the cell, and a visible buildup of corrosion or deposits on the electrodes. If you suspect an issue with your cell, it is best to troubleshoot and address the problem as soon as possible.

3. What are the common causes of low voltage galvanic cell failure?

One of the most common causes of low voltage galvanic cell failure is a problem with the electrodes. This can be due to corrosion, damage, or improper installation. Other potential causes include issues with the electrolyte solution, such as contamination or depletion, or problems with the connection between the cell and any external devices or circuits.

4. How can I troubleshoot a low voltage galvanic cell?

The first step in troubleshooting a low voltage galvanic cell is to visually inspect the cell for any obvious signs of damage or corrosion. Next, you can perform a voltage test to determine the output of the cell. If the voltage is significantly lower than expected, you may need to replace the electrolyte solution or clean the electrodes. If the voltage is normal, the issue may lie with external connections or devices.

5. Can I repair a low voltage galvanic cell?

In most cases, a low voltage galvanic cell cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced if it is not functioning properly. However, routine maintenance and troubleshooting can prevent issues and prolong the lifespan of the cell. If you are unsure about how to troubleshoot or repair your cell, it is best to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's instructions.