A limiting Reagent Problem: Check My work

In summary, the limiting reagent in the reaction between propane and oxygen is oxygen (O2). When given specific amounts of each reactant, the smaller number of moles indicates which substance is the limiting reagent. In the second question, when 1.00g of C3H8 reacts completely, it produces 3.00g of CO2.
cheechnchong
Problem: combustion of propane, C3H8

C3H8 (g) + 5O2 (g) --- 3 CO2 (g) + 4H2O (l)

if propane reacts with oxygen as above
(a) what is the limiting reagent in a mixture containing 5.00 g of C3H8 and 10.0 g of C3H8 of O2?
(b) what mass of CO2 is formed when 1.00 g of C3H8 racts completely?

My Approach:

(a) 5.00g C3H8 x (1mol C3H8/ 44g C3H8) = .114 mol C3H8
10.0g O2 x (1mol C3H8/ 32g O2) = .313 mol O2

C3H8 is limiting

(b) 1.00g C3H8 x (1 mol C3H8/ 44g C3H8) x (3mol CO2/ 1mol C3H8) x (44g CO2/ 1 mol CO2) = 3.00g CO2

I'm kinda doubting my answer on the limiting reagent part...can someone explain it to me if I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump anyone?

convert to moles first, and then divide by the coefficients. the smaller number indicates which one is the limiting reactant.

So [tex] O_{2} [/tex] is the limiting reactant

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
convert to moles first, and then divide by the coefficients. the smaller number indicates which one is the limiting reactant.

So [tex] O_{2} [/tex] is the limiting reactant

great tip thanks!
they skip that kinda approach in college...it's all memorization! i hate it...

What is a limiting reagent problem?

A limiting reagent problem is a type of stoichiometry problem in chemistry where the amount of one reactant limits the amount of product that can be formed. It is important to identify the limiting reagent in order to accurately determine the amount of product that can be produced.

How do I identify the limiting reagent in a problem?

To identify the limiting reagent, you must first determine the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, calculate the moles of each reactant present. The reactant with the smallest number of moles is the limiting reagent.

Why is it important to check my work in a limiting reagent problem?

Checking your work in a limiting reagent problem is important to ensure that you have correctly identified the limiting reagent and calculated the amount of product that can be formed. It also helps to catch any mistakes in your calculations and ensures the accuracy of your results.

What are some common mistakes when solving a limiting reagent problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a limiting reagent problem include using the wrong balanced chemical equation, miscalculating the number of moles of each reactant, and forgetting to convert between units (i.e. from grams to moles). It is important to double check your work and make sure all conversions and calculations are correct.

Are there any shortcuts or tips for solving limiting reagent problems?

One helpful tip for solving limiting reagent problems is to use the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation to determine the amount of product that can be formed. Another shortcut is to only calculate the moles of the limiting reagent, rather than all of the reactants, to save time. Additionally, it can be helpful to label your work and clearly show your calculations step by step.