A few AP CHEM exam questions

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of kinetics, specifically understanding the dependence of the rate of the forward reaction on the concentrations of reactants and temperature. The conversation also touches on creating an equilibrium graph and determining the initial rate law for the forward reaction. Lastly, the topic of acid rain from burning coal is mentioned. The individual is seeking help and clarification on these concepts.
jaehyung_91
i have a take home "test" that my teacher allows me to use other resources including my book.

i really didnt understand kinetics.
can you explain to me by answering these questions?

4)(c) Provide a molecular explanation for the dependence of the rate of the forward reaction on the concentrations of the reactants.

(d) Provide a molecular explanation for the dependence of the rate of the forward reaction on temperature.

** and i also don't understand how to do an equilibrium graph:

PCl3(g) + Cl2(g) <===> PCl5(g)

Suppose that 2 moles of PCl3 and 1 mol of Cl2 are mixed in a closed container at constant temperature. Draw a graph that shows how the concentrations of PCl3, Cl2, and PCl5 change with time until after equilibrium has been firmly established.

(b) give the initial rate law for the forward reaction.

we didnt even learn equilibrium yet.

AND one last question:

can you explain to me

(c) Burning coal containing a significant amount of sulfur leads to "acid rain."

i have to do this during break, and my breaks done.

so pleeeeeease help me.

thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pleeease read the Guidelines again (see my signature for link). We can't help you unless you show some effort first.

Does your textbook not have a chapter on kinetics and a chapter on equilibria?

I am happy to help you understand these AP CHEM exam questions. Kinetics is the study of the rates of chemical reactions, and it is an important topic in chemistry because it helps us understand how fast reactions occur and what factors can affect their rates. Let's start by answering your first two questions about the molecular explanations for the dependence of the rate of the forward reaction on the concentrations of reactants and temperature.

4)(c) The rate of a chemical reaction is dependent on the concentrations of the reactants because the more reactant molecules there are, the more collisions there will be between them, increasing the likelihood of successful collisions that lead to a reaction. This can be explained by the collision theory, which states that for a reaction to occur, the reactant molecules must collide with enough energy and in the correct orientation. Therefore, when there is a higher concentration of reactants, there will be more collisions and thus a higher rate of reaction.

(d) The rate of a chemical reaction is also dependent on temperature because temperature affects the kinetic energy of the reactant molecules. When temperature increases, the reactant molecules move faster and have more energy, leading to more frequent and energetic collisions. This increases the chances of successful collisions and therefore increases the rate of reaction.

Regarding the equilibrium graph, it is important to understand that in a closed system, like the one described in the question, the concentrations of reactants and products will reach a point where they no longer change, known as equilibrium. The graph will show the concentrations of the reactants and products over time until they reach equilibrium.

For the initial rate law of the forward reaction, we can use the following equation: rate = k[PCl3]^x[Cl2]^y, where k is the rate constant and x and y are the reaction orders of PCl3 and Cl2, respectively. Since the reaction is in the gas phase, the concentration of each gas can be represented as partial pressure.

Finally, to explain the connection between burning sulfur-containing coal and acid rain, we need to look at the products of the combustion reaction. When sulfur burns, it forms sulfur dioxide (SO2) gas, which can react with water in the atmosphere to form sulfuric acid (H2SO4). This acid can then fall to the earth as acid rain, causing harm to plants, animals, and structures.

I hope this helps you understand these concepts better. Remember to always use your textbook and other resources

1. What is the format of the AP CHEM exam?

The AP CHEM exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 60 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long, while the free-response section contains 7 questions and is 1 hour and 45 minutes long.

2. What topics are covered on the AP CHEM exam?

The AP CHEM exam covers a wide range of topics, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, electrochemistry, and organic chemistry. It also includes laboratory experiments and data analysis.

3. How is the AP CHEM exam scored?

The multiple-choice section is scored based on the number of correct answers, with no penalty for incorrect or skipped answers. The free-response section is scored based on a rubric that takes into account both the correctness and the quality of the responses. The final score is a combination of the two sections and ranges from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest.

4. What are some tips for studying for the AP CHEM exam?

Some tips for studying for the AP CHEM exam include reviewing class notes and textbooks, practicing with past AP exam questions, and creating study guides or flashcards. It is also important to understand key concepts and how they relate to each other, rather than just memorizing information.

5. Are calculators allowed on the AP CHEM exam?

Yes, a scientific or graphing calculator is allowed on the AP CHEM exam. However, it is important to note that some questions may require calculations to be done without a calculator, so it is important to be familiar with basic math skills as well.