Three capacitors connected to a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent capacitance and charge stored on a circuit with C3 = 10.5 uF, C1 = C2 = 2C3, and Vb = 39.0 volts. The suggested solution of ((C1)(C'))/(C1+C') is incorrect and the correct answer is 12.6 uF. The second question does not involve calculating with the voltage value.
Vedj

Homework Statement

6611bd826734c6d4eca8948e9d698d3f6a8.jpg

Examine the figure shown. Note that C3 = 10.5 uF, and C1 = C2 = 2C3. Also the battery voltage is Vb = 39.0 volts.

Homework Equations

What is the equivalent capacitance for this arrangement?
How much charge is stored on C1?

The Attempt at a Solution

C2 and C3 are in parallel, so I used C'=C2+C3
C' is in series with C1, so the total capacitance, C'' is:

((C1)(C'))/(C1+C')

which is equal to:

((C1)(C2+C3))/(C1+C2+C3)

pluging in values, I get an answer of 12.6 uF. I am using an online homework program and am told that this is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

For the second question, shouldn't I multiply my answer for the first part by the volts value given?

Thank you for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
(c2+c3/2)+c1=C

c2 and c3 are in series, add up the values and divide by the number of caps then add that number to c1 and you have the total capacitance. second question, no, voltage has nothing to do with it.

I would like to confirm that the approach you have taken to calculate the equivalent capacitance is correct. However, I would also suggest double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. It is possible that the online homework program is not accepting your answer due to rounding errors or incorrect units.

Regarding the second question, yes, you are correct in multiplying the equivalent capacitance by the battery voltage to calculate the charge stored on C1. This would give you a value of 499.14 uC. Again, make sure to double-check your calculations and units.

I would also recommend checking if the online homework program has any specific instructions or formatting requirements for the answers. It is always a good idea to carefully read and follow the instructions provided. If you continue to have trouble, you can also consult with your instructor for further clarification.

1. How do capacitors work in a circuit?

Capacitors store electrical energy in an electric field. When connected to a battery, they charge up by accumulating electrons on one plate and removing them from the other plate. This creates a potential difference, or voltage, between the two plates. The capacitor then holds this charge until it is discharged or connected to a circuit.

2. What happens when three capacitors are connected to a battery?

When three capacitors are connected to a battery, they will each charge up and hold a specific amount of charge based on their capacitance. The total voltage across the capacitors will be equal to the battery voltage, and the total charge stored will be equal to the sum of the charges on each capacitor.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total capacitance of three capacitors in series?

The formula for calculating the total capacitance of capacitors in series is 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3. This means that the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. In other words, the total capacitance is less than the smallest individual capacitance in the series.

4. How does the placement of capacitors in a circuit affect the overall capacitance?

The placement of capacitors in a circuit does not affect the overall capacitance, but it can affect the voltage and charge distribution among the capacitors. In series, the total capacitance is reduced, while in parallel, the total capacitance is increased. However, the total amount of charge stored will remain the same regardless of the placement of the capacitors.

5. Can capacitors be connected in parallel to increase their overall capacitance?

Yes, connecting capacitors in parallel will increase their overall capacitance. The total capacitance is calculated by adding the individual capacitances together. This is because in parallel, the capacitors share the same voltage, but the total charge stored is divided among them, resulting in an overall increase in capacitance.