How Does Time Dilation Affect Flight Duration in Special Relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a plane flying at a constant velocity and the difference in time measurements between the clocks on the plane and the clocks on the ground. The solution involves using the binomial expansion and solving for delta t, which is the difference in time between the two clocks. However, there may be a math error causing confusion in the solution.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

A plane flies with a constant velocity of 208 m/s. The clocks on the plane show that it takes exactly 2.00 hours to travel a certain distance. Calculate how much longer or shorter than 2.00 h this flight will last, according to clocks on the ground. ________s

Homework Equations

delta t = delta t(not) / (1-v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the velocity of the plane is very low, I used the binomial expansion: delta t = delta t(not)*[1 + 1/2*[208m/s / 3x10^8 m/s]^2]. When I worked it out and solved for delta t, I got .999, which I then added to the 7200s ( 2 hours). I know that the time according to the ground clocks will be longer, but I think there's a math error somewhere which is preventing me from understanding and getting the answer. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are delta(t) and delta(t0) (nought not not) supposed to mean? Get rid of the deltas in that formula and realize delta(t)=t-t0. And you won't get .999 unless your calculator only has three digits of precision.

I would like to point out that this problem involves the concept of time dilation in special relativity. According to the theory of relativity, time is not absolute and can be affected by the relative velocity between two observers. In this case, the observer on the ground and the observer on the plane will have different measurements of time due to their relative velocity.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for time dilation, which is given by delta t = delta t(not) / (1-v^2/c^2). Here, delta t is the time measured by the observer on the ground, delta t(not) is the time measured by the observer on the plane, v is the velocity of the plane, and c is the speed of light.

Substituting the given values, we get delta t = 2 hours / (1 - (208 m/s)^2 / (3x10^8 m/s)^2). Solving this, we get delta t = 2.000000000001 hours. This means that according to the ground clocks, the flight will last 0.000000000001 hours longer than 2 hours. This may seem like a very small difference, but it is a significant effect of time dilation at higher velocities.

In conclusion, the concept of time dilation is an important aspect of special relativity and should be considered when dealing with high velocities. The slight difference in time measured by the ground clocks in this problem highlights the importance of understanding this concept in our understanding of the universe.

1. What is Proper Time in the context of relativity?

Proper Time refers to the time experienced by an object or observer in its own frame of reference. It is the time measured by a clock that is at rest relative to the object or observer.

2. How is Proper Time related to Special Relativity?

In Special Relativity, Proper Time is a fundamental concept that is used to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction. It is the time that is measured in the reference frame of an object or observer, and it is used to calculate the differences in time between different inertial frames of reference.

3. What is the equation for calculating Proper Time?

The equation for calculating Proper Time is t = t0 /√(1-v2/c2), where t is the Proper Time, t0 is the time measured in a reference frame at rest, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does Proper Time differ from Coordinate Time?

Proper Time is a physical concept that is dependent on the frame of reference of an object or observer, while Coordinate Time is a mathematical concept that is used to measure time in a specific coordinate system. Proper Time takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, while Coordinate Time does not.

5. What are some practical applications of Proper Time in everyday life?

Proper Time has practical applications in many fields, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and space travel. In GPS technology, Proper Time is used to compensate for the effects of time dilation in satellites. In particle accelerators, it is used to calculate the time it takes for particles to decay. In space travel, it is used to calculate the time it takes for spacecraft to reach their destinations and to adjust for the effects of time dilation during high-speed travel.