Installing Freespire: Using Testdisk 6 and a Slave Drive

• Thread starter Dr Quest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, this person is recommending that you teach yourself how to fish with regards to computers by searching for resources online.
Dr Quest
Presently I'm running XP Pro on my C drive, and I just recovered a hard drive that I thought was a gonner with Testdisk 6.
What I'm now considering of doing is putting Freespire on the slave drive, and I'm not sure the best way to do this, if you could recommend a good freeware program to do this, I would be appreciative.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have the exact set-up. I have XP on the C drive of the Master. And Ubuntu on the slave. When you install Ubuntu, it will either let you install it manually, or take the maximum free space available. I have always chosen the latter option. Either the whole of the second drive is free, or there is an NTFS partition and some amount of free space. Make sure you know the drive names. For me, the slave is hdb(and the root is installed at hdb2). I haven't used Freespire. Since it is also based on Debian like Ubuntu, you may want to check some place like osdir.com for screenshots of the installation process, and see if the current version let's you install in the max. free space.

Im going to get my neighbor to help me set it up, I figure it's safer that way.
Thanks for the reply.

A free version of linspire..

Yeaa! Take that! Greedy, hypocrit linspire people!

(don't buy anything from the "linspire" network or whatever it's called.. They sell FREE programs to people for what an equivalent shareware program would cost.. Profiting from the hard work of others who were inspired to create FREE software!)

As for dual booting, I know nothing about freespire. I am willing to bet there is some kind of page available though.. Learn to use google, it is the best skill to have online. Utilizing the knowledge you gain from googling is the second most important skill. Don't just let people do things for you all of the time. It's great to have help sometimes, but the most important person to educate and gain experience for is yourself. It's like that trite old saying, "teach a man to fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime." Well, you can teach yourself how to fish nowadays in regards to computers.

This is the 4th link that popped up when I put "freespire dual boot" (without the quotes) into google. It seems to be just what you're looking for and is simple and easy to read: http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Dual_Boot"

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredNL said:
It's like that trite old saying, "teach a man to fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime."

I believe the saying is, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime." :wink:

To boredNL

Thanks for the link, I will be checking it out.

neutrino said:
I believe the saying is, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime." :wink:

err... oops! that was a typo. lol

I was exhausted while typing that! hah

1. How do I install Freespire using Testdisk 6 and a slave drive?

To install Freespire using Testdisk 6 and a slave drive, you will first need to create a bootable USB or DVD with the Freespire ISO file. Then, insert the bootable media into your computer and boot from it. Once the installation menu appears, select "Test Disk" and follow the prompts to partition and format the slave drive. Finally, select the slave drive as the installation destination and proceed with the installation process.

2. What is Testdisk 6 and why is it used for installing Freespire?

Testdisk 6 is a powerful data recovery software that can also be used for partitioning and formatting hard drives. It is commonly used for installing operating systems, such as Freespire, as it allows for more advanced options for partitioning and formatting compared to the standard installation process.

3. Can I use Testdisk 6 to install Freespire on my main drive?

Yes, you can use Testdisk 6 to install Freespire on your main drive. However, it is recommended to back up any important data on the main drive before proceeding with the installation, as Testdisk 6 may cause data loss if not used correctly.

4. What is a slave drive and why is it recommended for installing Freespire?

A slave drive is a secondary hard drive that is connected to the computer in addition to the main drive. It is recommended to use a slave drive for installing Freespire using Testdisk 6 as it allows for easier partitioning and formatting without affecting the main drive, which may contain important data.

5. Are there any risks involved in using Testdisk 6 for installing Freespire?

Yes, there are some risks involved in using Testdisk 6 for installing Freespire. If not used correctly, it can result in data loss on the hard drive. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and back up any important data before proceeding with the installation.