Evaporation of Water on a Jogger

Glad I could help. So, in summary, the latent heat of vaporization of H2O at body temperature (37.0°C) is 2.38E+6 J/kg. To cool the body of a 71.9 kg jogger by 1.10°C, approximately 0.111 kg of water in the form of sweat needs to be evaporated.
Boozehound
The latent heat of vaporization of H2O at body temperature (37.0°C) is 2.38E+6 J/kg. To cool the body of a 71.9 kg jogger [average specific heat capacity = 3550 J/(kg*°C)] by 1.10°C, how many kilograms of water in the form of sweat have to be evaporated?

Q=cmt Q=mL

Q=3550(71.9)1.10=264951.5J
264951.5J=m(2.38E6) m=.111kg

the answer is wrong and i think I am pluggin in some wrong numbers somewhere. any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may have a calculator error, for Q=cmt, I get Q=(3550)(71.9)(1.10)=28769.5J. This may be your problem. See what you get as an answer using this value for Q.

yes that was it...i used 3350 instead of 3550 on accident. thank you.

No problem!

What causes water to evaporate on a jogger?

Water evaporates on a jogger due to the heat and movement of the body. As the body heats up, sweat is produced, which then evaporates from the skin's surface. The movement of the body also creates air flow, which helps to speed up the evaporation process.

Why is evaporation of water on a jogger important?

Evaporation of water on a jogger helps to regulate body temperature and prevent overheating. Sweat is the body's way of cooling itself down, and without evaporation, the body would retain too much heat and could lead to heat stroke or other health issues.

How does humidity affect the evaporation of water on a jogger?

Humidity can slow down the evaporation process on a jogger. When the air is already saturated with water vapor, sweat has a harder time evaporating from the skin. This is why it can feel more uncomfortable to exercise in high humidity.

Can evaporation of water on a jogger lead to dehydration?

Yes, evaporation of water on a jogger can contribute to dehydration. While it is important for the body to sweat and cool down during exercise, it is also important to replenish lost fluids by drinking water. Dehydration can lead to fatigue, dizziness, and other health issues.

How can I prevent excessive evaporation of water on a jogger?

To prevent excessive evaporation of water on a jogger, it is important to stay hydrated by drinking water before, during, and after exercise. It is also helpful to wear moisture-wicking clothing that can help to absorb sweat and keep the body cool. Avoid exercising in extreme heat and try to find shaded or cooler areas to jog in.