E=m'c^2: A Comprehensive Guide to Deriving the Famous Equation

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, a user has created a PDF containing the mathematical steps to obtain E=m'c^2 and is asking for feedback on the document. They are also questioning the use of Relativistic Mass and whether their derivations are valid. Another user is suggesting the use of Modern Mass (M0) instead of Relativistic Mass and the concept of Speed Dilation instead of Mass Dilation. The original user is unsure about Speed Dilation and defends their use of Mass Dilation based on evidence from particle accelerators. They also clarify that they have not published the document, but only posted it for feedback on a forum.
prasannapakkiam
I had some spare time and I wanted to compile a document that contained all the mathematical steps to obtain E=m'c^2. Anyway, I have written this PDF. If any of you have spare time, can you please look over my document and criticize it?:smile:

Also, if this place is inappropriate to post this here, you may delete this post...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• My_SR_Document.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 236
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought...

You may want to do a clean-up job on the introduction. It seems too concise to convey much to the uninitiated. But you cannot dwell on the history for too long, either. It could be expanded to , say, a page or two. And make sure each sentence is complete and meaningful. For example, the sentence, "Light did not have a limit," is ambiguous. What sort of limit are we talking about??

hmm. true I did not pay too much attention to the intro. Thanks for the feedback. "Light did not have a limit," - I can't believe I wrote that! :)

Also is my derivation of length contraction valid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can some please also see if my derivation of the Mass Dilation is Valid?

I disagree with your use of Relativistic Mass,
Modern use of M0 is more accepted and IMO accurate.
The idea the mass actually approaches infinity as speed nears “c” is not realistic.
Using the correct relative speed needed to correctly calculate momentum and energy as speed approaches infinity makes much more sense and fits in better with the current view of using only M0.
It solves for E=mc2 just as well.

IMO speed dilation for this calculation makes much more sense than mass dilation.

Really? Well I wasn't actually aware of that. Hmm. so you disagree with my derivation or the use of the equation itself?

? don't know what you mean by "the equation"

What I disagree with is using the idea that mass of an object changes relative to frame of measure.

Most current modern views of science consider it is an old, unnecessary incorrect analogy.
A view that I agree with.

Did you even try speed dilation?

prasannapakkiam said:
Also is my derivation of length contraction valid?
Funny how you have to ask this question... I mean, the fact of publishing this document has to mean you're sure of its content, right?

Publish? I have just posted it to PF...!

Time Dilation, Mass Dilation. Now I have heard Speed Dilation. Okay I shall research it.

Anyway, as a side note why is MD wrong? The reason I used it is because of the proof I thought was found in the particle accelerators with electrons and their abnormal increase in B, as predicted by MD...

1. What does E=mc^2 stand for?

E=mc^2 is the famous equation developed by Albert Einstein that states the relationship between mass (m) and energy (E). The 'c' represents the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second.

2. How did Einstein come up with E=mc^2?

Einstein developed the equation as part of his theory of special relativity, which explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. He used mathematical equations and thought experiments to derive the relationship between mass and energy.

3. What is the significance of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is significant because it revolutionized our understanding of the relationship between mass and energy. It showed that energy and mass are interchangeable and that even a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy. This equation has also been used in the development of nuclear energy and weapons.

4. Can you explain the meaning of each component in E=mc^2?

The 'E' represents energy, which can be measured in joules. The 'm' represents mass, which can be measured in kilograms. The 'c' represents the speed of light in a vacuum, which is a constant in the equation.

5. Is there a simple way to understand the derivation of E=mc^2?

The derivation of E=mc^2 involves complex mathematical equations and concepts, but the basic principle is that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. This means that a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy, as the speed of light is a very large number.