Is the Sequence (1+\frac{1}{k})^{k+1} non-increasing for n>1?

• Thread starter dobry_den
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the theorem states that the sequence (1+1/k)^{k+1}, where k=1,2,3,..., is non-increasing. This can be proven by finding the derivative of the continuous version of the function and showing that it is always less than 0. However, it is also possible to prove it using other approaches, such as using Bernoulli's inequality and a clever trick. Essentially, the theorem shows that the sequence is either constant or decreasing, and it can be shown by substituting in different values for k and using various mathematical techniques.
dobry_den
Hey! I'm struggling with the proof of the following theorem:

Sequence [tex](1+\frac{1}{k})^{k+1}[/tex], where k=1,2,3,..., is non-increasing.

Is there any chance of proving it by mathematical induction? Please could you give me a hint?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the proof doesn't have to be done by induction... I read this post (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139672) and there might be some other solution, too.. Now I'm trying to express the sequence by the formula proposed by Werg22:

[tex] (1+1/n)^{n} = 1 + n\frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{2!}(1-\frac{1}{n})+ ... + \frac{1}{n!}(1 - \frac{1}{n})(1 - \frac{2}{n})...(1 - \frac{n-1}{n}) [/tex]

I hope it's possible... I'd be grateful for any hints:)

Non increasing means constant or decreasing. To show its not constant, just sub in 2 values of k, they won't be the same. To show its decreasing, find the derivative of the continuous version of the function and show that the derivative is always less than 0.

well, i managed to prove it using a completely diffrent approach, if you are interested.?

let us start from this: note this holds only for n>1
[tex](1+\frac{1}{n^{2}-1})^{n} =(\frac{n^{2}-1+1}{(n-1)(n+1)})^{n} =(\frac{n}{n-1})^{n} (\frac{n}{n+1})^{n}[/tex] let us denote this by (1)

now using bernulis inequality we get

[tex](1+\frac{1}{n^{2}-1})^{n}> 1+(\frac{n}{n^{2}-1}) > 1+(\frac{1}{n})[/tex]---(2)

now we get

[tex](\frac{n}{n-1})^{n} (\frac{n}{n+1})^{n} >1+(\frac{1}{n})[/tex]
after we divide by [tex](\frac{n}{n+1})^{n}[/tex] we get

[tex](\frac{n}{n-1})^{n}> (1+ (\frac{1}{n}))^{n+1}[/tex]
now let us do this little trick

[tex](\frac{n-1+1}{n-1})^{n}=(1+ \frac{1}{n-1})^{n}>(1+ (\frac{1}{n}))^{n+1}[/tex]

so now if we let [tex]b_(n-1)=(1+\frac{1}{n-1})^{n}[/tex] and [tex] b_n = (1+\frac{1}{n})^{n+1}[/tex] we see that b_(n-1)>b_n for every n>1

Last edited:

What is a non-increasing sequence?

A non-increasing sequence is a sequence of numbers where each number is equal to or smaller than the previous number. This means that the sequence is either decreasing or staying constant.

What is the difference between a non-increasing sequence and a non-decreasing sequence?

A non-increasing sequence is a sequence where the numbers are equal to or smaller than the previous number, while a non-decreasing sequence is a sequence where the numbers are equal to or larger than the previous number.

What is the importance of non-increasing sequences in mathematics?

Non-increasing sequences are important in many areas of mathematics, such as in calculus, analysis, and combinatorics. They are used to prove the convergence of series and to analyze the growth rates of functions.

How can you determine if a sequence is non-increasing?

To determine if a sequence is non-increasing, you can compare each number in the sequence to the previous number. If the numbers are equal to or smaller than the previous number, then the sequence is non-increasing.

Can a non-increasing sequence be infinite?

Yes, a non-increasing sequence can be infinite. As long as each number in the sequence is equal to or smaller than the previous number, the sequence can continue infinitely.