Is the scientific method limiting the potential of physics?

In summary, the goal of physics is to describe the most amount of phenomenon in the fewest terms, but the scientific method might be limiting our efforts because it only accepts results that can be reproduced. My main concern is that the scientific method only accepts the conditions and results that can be reproduced, which can limit our understanding of phenomena. However, the other sciences are approximations and simplifications of physics, so I think that physics should be able to take the next step without needing to change its method.
shotgun
I heard somewhere that the goal of physics is to describe the most amount of phenomenon in the fewest terms. I really like that for some reason.

Of course then there is the scientific method, which I am less fond of. I wonder, in this day and age, is the scientific method actually limiting our efforts? Case in point - physics is relegated to being just another branch of the sciences. I mean, based on the goal, shouldn't it should be THE science?

My main concern is that the scientific method only accepts the conditions and results that can be reproduced. Someone in a lab in France must be capable of getting the same results a month, a year, or a century after what someone shows me right here and now (and if they still differ a little we call it noise, and describe it no further).

Of course the fundamental units of our experiments are space and time, but never the here and now. How can physics describe the most amount of phenomenon if it rules out any effects associated with a particular moment in time and a particular place in space (by virtue of the scientific method). I know that my existence and all my perception depends on these things.

Is there any better scientific method out there to take physics to the next level?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the basic I guess you can call them "axioms" of physics is that the laws of physics are invariant under time and translation, i.e. movement to some other place.

One of my professors said that there are some ideas floating around saying the laws of physics change over time, but we can't tell right now anyway.

As to physics being THE science. Sure. It is. So what? If someone wants to do biology, you will make them learn physics first? That's pointless. Sure, having an understanding of physics will be great, but it won't really be worth the time.

Chemistry began as an offshoot of physics, and actually we've been learning about orbitals and stuff in my Quantum Mechanics class lately, but it took me 3 years to get here, whereas I could have done a LOT of other chemistry in the mean time, not really caring about modern physics, or any of my physics lab classes, if I had just wanted to do chemistry.

You can think of the other sciences as approximations and simplifications of physics. We do it all the time in physics, so some other branch should have no problem giving the approximate case for something that we can't really tell the difference from the actual case anyway.

shotgun said:
I heard somewhere that the goal of physics is to describe the most amount of phenomenon in the fewest terms. I really like that for some reason.

Of course then there is the scientific method, which I am less fond of. I wonder, in this day and age, is the scientific method actually limiting our efforts? Case in point - physics is relegated to being just another branch of the sciences. I mean, based on the goal, shouldn't it should be THE science?

My main concern is that the scientific method only accepts the conditions and results that can be reproduced. Someone in a lab in France must be capable of getting the same results a month, a year, or a century after what someone shows me right here and now (and if they still differ a little we call it noise, and describe it no further).

Of course the fundamental units of our experiments are space and time, but never the here and now. How can physics describe the most amount of phenomenon if it rules out any effects associated with a particular moment in time and a particular place in space (by virtue of the scientific method). I know that my existence and all my perception depends on these things.

Is there any better scientific method out there to take physics to the next level?

This is metaphysics mumbo jumbo.

'here and now' ----......okay.

The part I made bold is self contradicting.

shotgun said:
Of course then there is the scientific method

The what? There is no method in any interesting sense of the word method. Scientists infer from evidence, like regular folk.

It's great when results are reproduced because that supports the hypothesis being tested and strengthens the inference.

I think you're saying "surely we can say stuff about instances that aren't reproduceable?" The answer is of course you can: the laws of physics don't only tell us about results in scientific experiments. They tell us what to expect from the whole world.

shotgun said:

I recommend reading the following: http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/pseudosc/badmodl.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a better scientific method?

A better scientific method is an approach to conducting research and investigations that aims to improve upon the traditional scientific method by incorporating ideas and techniques from other fields, such as psychology and philosophy. It emphasizes the importance of considering multiple perspectives and sources of evidence in order to arrive at more accurate and comprehensive conclusions.

How does a better scientific method differ from the traditional scientific method?

A better scientific method differs from the traditional scientific method in several ways. It places a greater emphasis on collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches, as well as considering the influence of human biases and values on the research process. It also encourages the use of multiple methods and perspectives to arrive at more comprehensive conclusions.

What impact does a better scientific method have on the validity of research findings?

A better scientific method can lead to more valid research findings by promoting a more thorough and balanced approach to investigations. By considering various perspectives and sources of evidence, researchers can reduce the influence of personal biases and produce more accurate and reliable results.

Are there any drawbacks to using a better scientific method?

While a better scientific method offers many benefits, there are some potential drawbacks as well. It may require more time and resources to incorporate multiple perspectives and methods into a study, and it can also be more complex and challenging to implement. Additionally, some critics argue that it may lead to less definitive conclusions or make it difficult to replicate studies.

How can scientists implement a better scientific method in their own research?

Scientists can implement a better scientific method in their own research by being open to collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches, actively seeking out and considering diverse perspectives and sources of evidence, and being aware of and addressing their own biases and values. They can also strive to use multiple methods and carefully evaluate the strengths and limitations of each in their investigations.