Building a WWII Airplane: Materials, Propellers & More

In summary, the speaker is seeking insight on materials for building a WWII airplane, particularly for the wings. They have already used wood for the spars and steel and aluminum pipes for the frame. They also need to know the appropriate rpm for the propeller. Suggestions are welcome and a Google search for "p51 rpm" yielded helpful information on WWII aircraft materials.
ABHIdAVIATOR
I'm planning to build myself a WWII time Airplane. i need some insght into the types of materials that can be used for it.
Specifically, I'm facing problem in finding a suitable covering material for the wings. i would require a light cloth or a plastic sheet, probably. I've used wood to make the spars. I'm using steel and aluminium pipes to construct the frame.
Also, i need to know the rough value of rpm of the propeller that i should have.
please help me out with this.
Suggestions welcomed. Thank u in anticipation.

Abhishek
INDIA

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Mosquito was a wood and fabric airplane. That's an exception though. Most were metal or mixtures of.

1. What materials were commonly used to build WWII airplanes?

The most commonly used materials for building WWII airplanes were aluminum, steel, and wood. Aluminum was used for the airframe and outer skin of the plane, while steel was used for the engine and other structural components. Wood was primarily used for the wings and tail of the plane.

2. How were propellers made for WWII airplanes?

Propellers for WWII airplanes were typically made out of wood or metal. Wooden propellers were carved by hand and then laminated together, while metal propellers were cast and machined to the desired shape. Both types of propellers were then carefully balanced to ensure smooth and efficient operation.

3. What role did the engine play in WWII airplanes?

The engine was a critical component of WWII airplanes as it provided the power necessary for flight. Most WWII airplanes were powered by radial, inline, or V-type piston engines. These engines were designed to be lightweight, powerful, and reliable, allowing the planes to fly at high speeds and altitudes.

4. How were WWII airplanes designed and tested?

WWII airplanes were typically designed using advanced mathematical and engineering principles. Once the initial design was complete, scale models were built and tested in wind tunnels to evaluate aerodynamics and flight characteristics. Full-sized prototypes were then built and tested in flight to further refine the design before mass production.

5. How did advancements in technology impact WWII airplane construction?

Advancements in technology, particularly in materials and engines, had a significant impact on WWII airplane construction. The use of lightweight aluminum alloys and more powerful engines allowed for faster and more maneuverable planes. Additionally, new manufacturing techniques, such as mass production and assembly line production, allowed for quicker and more efficient production of airplanes.