Acceleration due to Gravity problem.

In summary, g, the acceleration due to gravity, can be calculated using a model that takes into account changes in latitude. This model is represented by g = 9.78049(1 + 0.005288sin^2x-0.000006sin^2(2x))(m/s^2), where x is latitude in degrees. To rewrite this in terms of powers of sin(x) only, we can use trig identities to get rid of the sin(2x) term. The latitude of Portland, Maine is approximately 5.4 degrees and using a calculator to graph, g is approximately 9.5 (m/s^2). This results in a percent change of approximately 54.8%
sirajoman

Homework Statement

Acceleration due to gravity, g, is considered to be 9.8(m/s^2). However, changes in latitude alter g according to the following model:
g = 9.78049(1 + 0.005288sin^2x-0.000006sin^2(2x))(m/s^2), where x is latitude measured in degrees.
[Side note= Hey guys i didn't know how to type in the little zero with the line across it which is the variable for degrees so i just used x, so x = zero-with-slash]

a) Rewrite g in terms of powers of sinx only
b)Find the latitude of Portland, Maine, and determine g.
c)Find the percent of change between the value calculated in part b above and the standard value of 9.8.

Homework Equations

I seriously can't think of any! I don't even know where to begin! :(

The Attempt at a Solution

Please excuse my sorry attempt:
a)1.g = 9.78049(1 + 0.005288sin^2x-0.000006sin^2(2x))(m/s^2)
2.g = 9.78049(sin0x +sin^2x-sin^2x)
3.g = 9.78049(sin^3x)
b)Using a calc to graph
portland = 5.4 degrees
g = 95
(im probably way off)
c)5.4/9.8 = .548

Physics news on Phys.org
To write this as a power of sin(x) only, you just need to get rid of the sin(2x) term. Do you know a trig identity that will get you an expression for sin(2x) in terms of sin(x) and cos(x)? Then to write the cos(x) in terms of sin(x) remember 1=sin^2(x)+cos^2(x).

Dick is right. And for that 'zero with a slash in it', you mean the Greek letter 'phi' or 'theta' ;)

Thanks Dick, you helped me out a lot i just have one small question though.
Sin^2(x) * sin^2(x) = sin^4(x) ...right? :)

Or anyone else, in case Dick isn't here could answer.

That's a really small question. Sure. x^2*x^2=x^4. So sin^2(x)*sin^2(x)=sin^4(x). How could you doubt it? Were you working on the same question as sirajoman?

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. This value is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, and is denoted by the symbol "g".

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = G * (M/R^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet or object, and R is the distance between the center of the planet or object and the falling object.

3. Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is approximately 1.6 meters per second squared, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 meters per second squared.

4. Does the mass of an object affect its acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its acceleration due to gravity. However, the effect is only significant for objects with a very large mass, such as planets or stars. For smaller objects like humans, the mass does not have a noticeable effect on acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the difference between acceleration due to gravity and gravitational force?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth's surface, while gravitational force is the force that causes this acceleration. Gravitational force is dependent on the mass of both objects, while acceleration due to gravity is only dependent on the mass of the Earth or planet being orbited.