Can Spell Check Be Added to Quick Reply on PF for Non-Advanced Users?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary: Under IE7 you can use the spell check that gets installed by PF from the tools pulldown for the quick reply box.It also works from tools for any other...
Danger
Gold Member
Can someone please do something to unlink me from the damned dictionary? I'm getting really irritated about words in my posts showing up capitalized and underscored with dots. If I wanted them underscored or capitalized, I would have formatted them that way. :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
Can someone please do something to unlink me from the damned dictionary? I'm getting really irritated about words in my posts showing up capitalized and underscored with dots. If I wanted them underscored or capitalized, I would have formatted them that way. :grumpy:

This is not an option right now sorry.

Awww, that's okay. It's pretty much an ego problem on my part; it just kind of makes it look as if I'm screwing up in my posts (which I tend to do a lot even without dictionary assistance :rolleyes:). Don't sweat it. :smile:

Danger said:
Awww, that's okay. It's pretty much an ego problem on my part; it just kind of makes it look as if I'm screwing up in my posts (which I tend to do a lot even without dictionary assistance :rolleyes:). Don't sweat it. :smile:

In the future we may plan on developing a feature to let you turn it on and off for posts.

There's a dictionary?
It's not working in Opera for me.

mgb_phys said:
There's a dictionary?
It's not working in Opera for me.

Can you explain a bit more, what is not working? Seeing an error?

Dictionary = Library?

_Mayday_ said:
Dictionary = Library?

They are talking about the function that highlights and autolinks words in your posts to the corresponding library articles.

On an aside note/question----would it be much trouble to put the 'speellchek' option on the 'non-advanced' "quick reply" area?

Oh sorry I was thinking of an automatic spell checker - for those of us who can't type or are getting senile.
I was looking for a plugin which works with this site, might have to switch to FireFox.

rewebster said:
On an aside note/question----would it be much trouble to put the 'speellchek' option on the 'non-advanced' "quick reply" area?

I didn't even realize that there was a spell check: I just use firefox where it comes as standard (of course it always yells at me for using s's instead pf z's (like in realize) and putting u's into words (like colour).. but I can cope with that!)

mgb_phys said:
Oh sorry I was thinking of an automatic spell checker - for those of us who can't type or are getting senile.
I was looking for a plugin which works with this site, might have to switch to FireFox.

oh boy!--wouldn't that be NICE-----like MS Word!

cristo said:
I didn't even realize that there was a spell check: I just use firefox where it comes as standard (of course it always yells at me for using s's instead pf z's (like in realize) and putting u's into words (like colour).. but I can cope with that!)

I forgot about that---

I tried firefox, but it seemed to slow down the computer----(I'm still in the about 40% ? that still uses Win98se though)

I do have and use Ispell --its pretty good when I remember to use it--right click to check spelling, defintions to Wiki and/or Merriams-----and its FREE

http://www.iespell.com/

(when I remember to use it)

Last edited:
cristo said:
Damn Americanisms, why don't they speak proper English? :rolleyes:

*Runs & Hides*

I like the fact that part of your sig is in Latin too!

How do I make my firefox spell for me?

_Mayday_ said:
How do I make my firefox spell for me?

Tools > options > advanced > general > "check my spelling as I type"

I have just downloaded a Fire fox ad on for UK English!

_Mayday_ said:
I have just downloaded a Fire fox ad on for UK English!

:approve: Good work.. but I think you'll find it's just 'English' and not 'UK English' :wink: Let's not encourage them...

Haha! wel it seems to be woking wel anyway!

_Mayday_ said:
Haha! wel it seems to be woking wel anyway!

:rofl:

Hootenanny said:
Damn Americanisms, why don't they speak proper English? :rolleyes:

We *speak* it just fine. Well, except those from the Southern states who add extra syllables. I think they might still use British spelling and are trying to pronounce it phonetically using all the letters.

Moonbear said:
We *speak* it just fine. Well, except those from the Southern states who add extra syllables. I think they might still use British spelling and are trying to pronounce it phonetically using all the letters.
:rofl:

rewebster said:
Under IE7 you can use the spell check that gets installed by PF from the tools pulldown for the quick reply box.
It also works from tools for any other website text entry.

Don't know about IE6 or other browsers.

1. What is "Fix My PF Dictionary Issues!"?

"Fix My PF Dictionary Issues!" is a software program designed to help users resolve any issues they may have with their Personal Finance (PF) dictionary. This includes correcting any errors, updating definitions, and adding new terms to the dictionary.

2. How does "Fix My PF Dictionary Issues!" work?

The program uses advanced algorithms and data analysis techniques to identify and fix any issues with the PF dictionary. It also allows users to manually input corrections or additions to the dictionary.

3. Is "Fix My PF Dictionary Issues!" easy to use?

Yes, the program has a user-friendly interface and provides step-by-step instructions for fixing dictionary issues. It also has a help section for any additional support needed.

4. Can "Fix My PF Dictionary Issues!" be used for any type of Personal Finance dictionary?

Yes, the program is designed to work with any type of Personal Finance dictionary, including those for specific industries or countries.

5. How often should I use "Fix My PF Dictionary Issues!"?

This depends on the frequency of updates and changes to your Personal Finance dictionary. It is recommended to use the program at least once a month to ensure the dictionary is up-to-date and accurate.