Date Format Configurability: A Worldwide Issue

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making the date format on the forum configurable, as it currently only displays in month-day-year format. The need for this feature is highlighted by users from different time zones who find it confusing to determine the age of a post. On other forums like phpBB, users can choose their preferred date format. The idea of using the php date() function to allow for full flexibility is suggested, but it is noted that any changes must not add characters to the line as it would affect the table formatting. It is suggested that the forum developers be contacted to request this feature for future versions.
Borek
Mentor
Is it possible for date format to be configurable? On many other forums (for example those phpBB based) you may select how you want your date to be displayed. On PF I am forced to month-day-year format, I am used to either D:M:Y or Y:M:D and quite often I have no idea whether I see a five years old post, or something posted two days ago. Perhaps that's of no concern for all those US based, but for at least some of us spread worldwide it is confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that would be a nice feature, although I've come here so often that I'm fairly used to remembering to read the middle one first. I do remember that it does take a lot of getting used to for the Europeans.

Kurdt said:
I do remember that it does take a lot of getting used to for the Europeans.
Yes, it does. I think I'm pretty used to it now, but there are occasions where it baffles me! I also remember when I first came here, it took me a good while to find out how to change time zone, so not only was I thrown by the date, but also that the time was 6 hours out!

Good to know I am not alone.

On phpBB you can just enter formatting string of php date() function and that gives full flexibility. For todays and yesterdays post Y & T are OK.

That makes sense if it's possible. The one constraint that I know exists is that any change can't add characters to the line, because that messes up the table formatting for the display (that's why we have T and Y for today and yesterday). I don't know if a "simple" switch around of the month/day to day/month is something that can be individually set, but it would make perfect sense to do so (if we can't, maybe Greg can put a word in with the vB developers to request it for future versions).

What is "Date Format Configurability"?

"Date Format Configurability" refers to the ability to change the way dates are displayed and interpreted on a computer or device, such as changing the order of day, month, and year or using different symbols for separation.

Why is date format configurability a worldwide issue?

Date format configurability is a worldwide issue because different countries and cultures have different conventions for displaying and interpreting dates. This can lead to confusion and miscommunication when working with people from different parts of the world.

What are the challenges of implementing date format configurability?

Implementing date format configurability can be challenging because it requires understanding and incorporating the various date formats used around the world, as well as ensuring compatibility with different operating systems and software. It also requires considering the potential impact on existing systems and databases.

How can date format configurability be addressed?

Date format configurability can be addressed by implementing standardized format options that can be easily selected and adjusted by users. It is also important to provide clear instructions and guidelines for using different date formats to avoid confusion and errors.

What are the potential benefits of date format configurability?

The potential benefits of date format configurability include improved communication and collaboration between individuals and organizations from different countries, enhanced user experience, and increased efficiency in data management. It can also promote cultural sensitivity and inclusivity in technology.