Raising a complex number to the nth power

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DeMoivre's Theorem and Euler's identity to compute complex numbers to the nth power. It is mentioned that if a complex number has a length of 1, then all of its powers will also have a length of 1 and lie on the unit circle in the complex plane. The conversation also touches on the idea of absolute value and its relationship to the unit circle.
magda3227
I was looking around a little bit for an algorithm that would compute a complex number to the nth power.

Can anyone supply me a resource that covers this? I wouldn't imagine it being different than some sort of (x+y)^n formula.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can convert the complex number into either polar form or exponential form and then use De Moivre's theorem.

DeMoivre's theorem:
If [itex]z= r e{i\theta}[/itex], then [itex]z^n= r^ne^{i n\theta}[/itex].

r is the "modulus" or absolute value of z: if z= x+iy then [itex]|z|= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex].

[itex]\theta[/itex] is the "argument" or angle the line through 0 and z in the complex plane makes with the real-axis: if z= x+ iy, then [itex]\theta= arctan(y/x)[/itex].

@Magda:
Here's a question for you to ponder: if you take a complex number, z, that has length 1 (a^2 + b^2 = 1 for z = a+bi), then what happens when you keep raising it to higher and higher powers: z^1, z^2, z^3, ... z^100000, ...

Thank you all very much. I was not familiar with DeMoivre's Theorem at all. I have seen Euler's identity, however.

In response to maze, I have no idea what happens when you raise a complex number, z = length 1 to higher and higher powers. I can't even begin to make an assumption of what would happen.

I'm not smart. :/

Try some examples!

Here are the most obvious ones:
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
i -1 -i 1 i -1 ...

Here are some for you to try:
1/sqrt(2) + i/sqrt(2)
-1/2 + i*sqrt(3)/2

maze said:
@Magda:
Here's a question for you to ponder: if you take a complex number, z, that has length 1 (a^2 + b^2 = 1 for z = a+bi), then what happens when you keep raising it to higher and higher powers: z^1, z^2, z^3, ... z^100000, ...

magda3227 said:
Thank you all very much. I was not familiar with DeMoivre's Theorem at all. I have seen Euler's identity, however.

In response to maze, I have no idea what happens when you raise a complex number, z = length 1 to higher and higher powers. I can't even begin to make an assumption of what would happen.

I'm not smart. :/
It's not a matter of being smart, it's a matter of having specific knowledge. It is true, generally, that |xn|= |x|n. In particular, if |z|= 1 then every power of z will also have absolute value 1. In the complex plane, the absolute value of a number is its distance from the origin. Every number with absolute value 1 lies on the unit circle. If z is on the unit circle, the so is zn for all n, although they may move around the unit circle.

was hoping he would figure this out on his own...

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has two components - a real part and an imaginary part. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the square root of -1.

What does it mean to raise a complex number to the nth power?

Raising a complex number to the nth power means multiplying the complex number by itself n times. This is similar to raising a real number to a power, but in this case, both the real and imaginary parts are affected.

How do you raise a complex number to the nth power?

To raise a complex number to the nth power, you can use the formula (a + bi)^n = (a^n - b^n) + (na^(n-1)b)i, where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively. Another way is to use the polar form of the complex number and raise the modulus (magnitude) to the nth power and multiply the argument (angle) by n.

What is the difference between raising a complex number to a real power and a complex power?

Raising a complex number to a real power results in a complex number, while raising a complex number to a complex power results in a different complex number. This is because raising a complex number to a complex power involves both the real and imaginary parts being raised to a power, whereas raising a complex number to a real power only affects the real part.

What is the significance of raising a complex number to the nth power in mathematics?

Raising a complex number to the nth power is important in various areas of mathematics such as algebra, trigonometry, and complex analysis. It helps in solving equations, simplifying expressions, and understanding the behavior of complex functions.