DC Power Supply Polarity: Can It Work?

In summary, the individual is asking if a product that requires a DC power supply but does not have any information on the polarity can work with both polarities. In response, it is mentioned that in general, it would have a full wave bridge rectifier at the input to provide "polarity insensitivity." The person then shares a link to a similar product and mentions that their product has the same basic code but looks slightly different. They also clarify that the power input opening is a coaxial barrel jack/plug and there is no indication of polarity on the label or around the power jack. It is suggested that there is a 95% probability that it is positive tip and the person could try contacting customer support or opening it up to check
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is a product that requires a DC power supply but doesn't have any info on the polarity able to work with both polarities?

I'd like to find out before I try it, lest I knacker my device.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general yes, it would have a full wave bridge rectifier at the input, to provide "polarity insensitivity".

What is the device? Can you provide a link to a datasheet or specification?

Hey berkeman. Thanks for the reply. The best I can come up with is the following but its not exactly the same.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=252506

Mine has the same basic product code but looks slightly different. I think its an older model.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the power input opening look like? Is it a coaxial barrel jack/plug? Those are traditionally positive tip, but not always. There should be some indication of + or - tip, maybe just hard to see if it's molded into the plastic instead of shown on a label. Does the label on the bottom of the product not indicate the polarity of the power input?

Just a power jack like these:

http://cwe.com.tw/kmportal-deluxe1/img/pictures/r/R0007_DC-POWER.png

No moulding in the plastic nothing around the power jack except "DC 12V/1.25A", and nothing on the sticker on the bottom. Unfortunately I don't have any of the documents that came with it. I normally keep all of them in a box file and I've been right through and of course the only ones I don't have are for this particular product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there's about a 95% probability that it's positive tip. You could try contacting their customer support folks to double-check. They should have a diode bridge inside (maybe open it up and check?), or at least a blocking diode to prevent knackering.

Is contacting their support or opening it up an option?

Yes I could contact them. Just thought it would be worth a go asking on here :biggrin:

Thanks berkeman.

1. What is DC power supply polarity?

DC power supply polarity refers to the positive and negative terminals on a direct current (DC) power source. The polarity determines the direction of the electrical current flow.

2. Can DC power supply polarity be reversed?

Yes, DC power supply polarity can be reversed by switching the positive and negative terminals. This is commonly done using a switch or by physically reconnecting the wires.

3. What happens if I reverse the polarity of my DC power supply?

If the polarity of a DC power supply is reversed, the direction of the electrical current flow will also reverse. This can cause damage to electronic devices that are connected to the power supply.

4. How can I determine the polarity of my DC power supply?

The polarity of a DC power supply can usually be determined by looking at the labeling on the power supply or the device it is connected to. The positive terminal is usually labeled with a plus sign (+) and the negative terminal with a minus sign (-).

5. Can DC power supply polarity affect the performance of my electronic device?

Yes, the polarity of a DC power supply can affect the performance of electronic devices. If the polarity is incorrect, it can cause the device to not function properly or even damage it. It is important to always ensure that the polarity is correct before connecting a device to a DC power supply.