Stupid question looking for stupid answer

• Thread starter Pierre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, some science sites are saying that the moon is always the same apparent size, and that it is an optical illusion. The largest change in the moon's apparent size is about ten percent. Pierre claims that his instrument and methodology is always the same, and that the only optical illusion he thought of was that the moon size was amplified by the different atmosphere sheet when close to the horizon. However, he does not provide any evidence to support his claim.
Pierre
Dozen of science site, offical or not, are saying that moon is always the same apparent size. Most of these site are explaining the perception of size as a simple legendary optical illusion. Some personnal experience lead me to believe that it was not!

After about 6 month waiting, I finally had a chance to have one of these very large moon that are said to be "illusion".

Making a simple measurement device that will measure the apparent size of the moon and compare it with an everyday moon about 3 months after, it appears that the large moon was in fact more than 2 time the size of the regular moon.

Who said first that this was an illusion and why? Any explanation? Any one with similar experiment?
Pierre

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you got a difference that large than there was a flaw in either your equipment or methodology.

The maximum actual change in the moon's apparent size is about ten percent as per this site:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/moon_ap_per.html

This has nothing to do with the illusion that the Moon is larger when near the horizon.

Janus said:
If you got a difference that large than there was a flaw in either your equipment or methodology.

The maximum actual change in the moon's apparent size is about ten percent as per this site:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/moon_ap_per.html

This has nothing to do with the illusion that the Moon is larger when near the horizon.

My instrument is very simple and do not use any optic, the methodology is always the same. I did the verification 3 times in the last 7 years always with an impressive difference far from 10%, in fact the largest difference was close to 2.3 times bigger.

The only optical illusion that I though to was the possibility that the moon size was amplified by the different atmosphere sheet when close to the horizon.(measure size, not apparent size)

Pierre

How about you explain the device & methodology used?

When I first noticed the apparent difference in the size of the Moon near the horizon and high in the sky - when I was a kid - I didn't believe what my mother told me (that it is an 'illusion'). Later, when I was in high school, I tested it for myself, by holding a ruler out in my hand, with my arm stretched out, and noted how big the Moon was. I remember being quite amazed that the ruler gave such a different answer from what my eyes were telling me. :surprise:

a similar view

I grew up in a river valley in north central Maine, and in the late fall and early winter months, I noticed that people who didn't spend much time outside would make outrageous comments about the size of the moon when they noticed it grazing over the local mountains and hills, outlining trees, etc.

Yes, the moon does look bigger near the horizon, but if you are in a northern latitude where the moon sweeps across the back of a local range of mountains or ridges for a long period, it can seem absolutely HUGE around moonrise. I had a really crappy Newtonian as a child (and I am eternally grateful to my parents, who probably had to scrape and sacrifice to buy it!) and I learned early that the moon was always the same size in my telescope, it always looked a lot better when it was high in the sky on a clear cold night.

Moreover when all kinds of mirages distort the actual form of the moon when near the horizon, it increases the illusion of increased size. I've seen it in the Arctic a couple of times

Found no pics of it but something similar is happening to the Sun http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/mirage2.html [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of asking a "stupid question looking for stupid answer"?

The purpose of asking this type of question is often to be humorous or to engage in playful banter with others. It can also be used as a way to break the ice or lighten the mood in a conversation.

2. Why are there no "stupid" questions?

This phrase is often used to encourage people to ask any question they may have, no matter how silly it may seem. Every question has a purpose, and asking questions is how we learn and gain information.

3. Are there any benefits to asking "stupid" questions?

Asking these types of questions can help to foster creativity and critical thinking. They can also help to build relationships and create a more relaxed and open communication environment.

4. Is it important to provide a "stupid" answer to a "stupid" question?

No, it is not necessary to provide a silly or nonsensical answer to a question. However, it can add some lightheartedness to a conversation and can be a fun way to engage with others.

5. When is it appropriate to ask a "stupid question looking for stupid answer"?

This type of question is best asked in informal settings, such as with friends or in a casual work environment. It is important to use discretion and be mindful of the context and audience before asking this type of question.