What kind of physical force does the earth's magnetic field exert on any object?

In summary: Conversely, every piece of iron has a tiny magnet in it, and the Earth's magnetic field exerts a torque on these magnets, turning them around. This is why a strong magnet will pick up a paper clip - because the Earth's magnetic field twists the tiny magnets in the clip around.
Scidhuv
Firstly let me waste a bit of your time by explaining I have not done much with maths or physics for ages! So please forgive my stupidity.

My question:
What kind of physical force does the Earth's magnetic field exert on any object on earth?

My calculations (very probably deeply flawed):
Google says the Earth's magnetic field is 0.3 - 0.7 Gauss in strength.
This is equal to 0.00003 - 0.00007 Tesla
T= 1(N/A*m)

I assumed:
N = Newton
A = Area / surface in m2
m = mass of the (magnetic?) body(?) in kg

So the force on an object (weight: 1kg / contact area with ground: 1m2) would be:

T = N = 0.00003 - 0.00007 Newton

Now after someone has pounded my math into dust I still wonder if this only applies to a place on Earth where the magnetic field lines are at a 90 degree angle with the Earth's surface? And what would apply for a place around the equator for example?

Any comments are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scidhuv said:
Firstly let me waste a bit of your time by explaining I have not done much with maths or physics for ages! So please forgive my stupidity.

My question:
What kind of physical force does the Earth's magnetic field exert on any object on earth?

My calculations (very probably deeply flawed):
Google says the Earth's magnetic field is 0.3 - 0.7 Gauss in strength.
This is equal to 0.00003 - 0.00007 Tesla
T= 1(N/A*m)

I assumed:
N = Newton
A = Area / surface in m2
m = mass of the (magnetic?) body(?) in kg

Nope, it is Newton per Ampere - meter. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit )

Last edited by a moderator:
The Earth's magnetic field produces only torques on magnets like compass needles, because the compass needle is a magnetic dipole, equivalent to a magnetic monopole at each end. If we had any free monopoles around, they would be pulled to either the North pole (near Greenland) or the South pole (near Antartica).

1. How does the earth's magnetic field exert force on objects?

The earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron and nickel in the outer core of the planet. This creates a magnetic field with north and south poles, similar to that of a bar magnet. When an object with magnetic properties, such as iron or steel, enters this field, it experiences a force called magnetic force.

2. Can the earth's magnetic field exert force on non-magnetic objects?

Yes, the earth's magnetic field can still exert force on non-magnetic objects, although it may be weaker. This is because the field induces a small amount of magnetism in all objects, causing them to experience a magnetic force.

3. How does the strength of the earth's magnetic field affect the force on an object?

The strength of the earth's magnetic field can vary depending on location, but on average it exerts a force of about 0.5 Gauss. This force is relatively weak compared to other forces, such as gravity, and does not typically have a significant effect on everyday objects.

4. Can the earth's magnetic field be used to levitate objects?

Yes, the earth's magnetic field can be used to levitate objects with magnetic properties, such as superconductors. This is because the magnetic force on a magnetic object is strong enough to counteract the force of gravity, allowing the object to float.

5. Does the earth's magnetic field affect all objects equally?

No, the earth's magnetic field can affect different objects in different ways, depending on their magnetic properties. For example, a compass needle will align with the field and point towards the magnetic north pole, while non-magnetic objects may only experience a slight force or no force at all.