Proving sin^2 + 2cos - 1 / 2 + cos - cos^2 = 1 / 1 + sec

• Thread starter ihatemath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos
In summary: The only thing left to do is to show us how you did it.)In summary, you are trying to prove that the LHS of a Pythagorean equation is equal to the RHS. You use the pythagorean identies and substitute the 1 and 2 in order to get the equation correct, but this doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere. You seem to have a problem with the brackets, as they are needed to make the divisions clear.
ihatemath
ok ... here's my problem
i need to prove that the LHS = RHS

sin^2 + 2cos - 1 / 2 + cos - cos^2 = 1 / 1 + sec

i tried to use the pythagarean identies and substitute the 1 and 2
but tht isn't getting me anywhere .. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't list the arguments of the functions we can't help you, also show the steps you've taken so far.

ummm ok .. here's what i got

LHS :

= sin^2 + cos + cos - sin^2 - cos^2 / 1 + sin^2 + cos^2 + cos - cos^2
... here i canceled the "sin^2" and " - sin^2" on the top and in the bottom i canceled the "cos^2" and " - cos^2"

= cos + cos - (cos)(cos) / 1 + sin^2 + cos

= cos + cos - cos^2 / sin^2 + cos^2 + sin^2 + cos

= cos + cos / sin^2 + sin^2 + cos

... I don't noe what to do from here ... am i even tackling this problem the right way ??

RHS :

1 / 1 + sec

= 1 / 1 + 1/cos
= 1 + cos ... no problems here .. jus the LHS

You forgot the arguments. Sin does not exist, sin(x) does etc.

there all sin(x) or cos(x) :tongue2:

Okay then we're arriving at the next problem. I have a feeling that some brackets are missing, for example what is 1/1+sec(x) is it [tex]1+\sec(x)[/tex] or [tex]\frac{1}{1+\sec x}[/tex]. Same goes for the right hand side. Use brackets to make divisions clear.

itz

[tex]\frac{1}{1+\sec x}[/tex]

Yes, but what about the other side, similar ambiguities exist there. For me to assist you on this problem you will need to take all those ambiguities away.

ihatemath said:
ok ... here's my problem
i need to prove that the LHS = RHS

i tried to use the pythagarean identies and substitute the 1 and 2
but tht isn't getting me anywhere .. please help

Are you trying to prove that
[tex]sin^2(x) + 2cos(x) - \frac{1}{2} + cos(x) - cos^2(x) = \frac{1}{1 + sec(x)}?[/tex]

That's actually the most reasonable way to interpret what you have written. (You've already told us what you meant on the right-hand side.

1. What is the purpose of proving sin^2 + 2cos - 1 / 2 + cos - cos^2 = 1 / 1 + sec?

The purpose of this proof is to show the relationship between the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and secant and their identities. By proving this equation, we can better understand the properties and behaviors of these functions.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived using basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. By substituting in the identities for sine, cosine, and secant, we can simplify the equation and show that both sides are equal.

3. Can this equation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, this equation can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. Trigonometric functions are commonly used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, and this equation can be applied in those situations.

4. Are there any limitations to this equation?

Like any mathematical equation, there are limitations to its applicability. This equation is specifically used for proving trigonometric identities and may not be suitable for all real-world scenarios. Additionally, it only applies to certain values of the variables involved.

5. How can this equation be useful to scientists?

By proving this equation, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions and their identities. This can be useful in various fields of research, such as signal processing, wave analysis, and geometric modeling.