Calculating Combustion Products: Propane, Oxygen, and Water Vapor

In summary, the conversation discusses incomplete combustion of C6H8 and setting up a chart to show the number of moles, molar mass, and mass. It is mentioned that 60% pure oxygen is being used and the propane is being collected over water at SATP. The question asks for the mass and number of moles with only the molar mass and amount of propane and 60% oxygen known. It is suggested to use C3H8 instead of C6H8 for mole calculations and to consider the water vapor in the experiment since the propane was collected over water at STP. The vapor pressure of water at STP and the amount of propane gas that is actually water vapor are also discussed.
Paulsmith13

Homework Statement

Incomplete combustion of C6H8, set up chart showing number of moles, molar mass and mass
the propane is burned with 60% pure oxygen, the propane is collected over water at SATP

Homework Equations

n=m/M

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I find the mass and number of moles if all I know is molar mass, and amount of propane and 60% pure oxygen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prepare table for 1 mole of propane.

It might help with your mole calculations to denote propane as C3H8 rather than C6H8.

I assume the question is asking you to determine the combustion product(s) for a gas mixture that contains 40% propane (collected over water) and 60% oxygen? Do you think that it might be necessary to account for the water vapor in this experiment? Remember that the propane was collected over water at STP. What is the vapor pressure of water at STP and how much of the propane gas is actually water vapor?

Hope it is helpful...

What topics should I study for the chemistry exam?

You should focus on understanding the fundamentals of chemistry, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, and chemical reactions. It is also important to review concepts such as stoichiometry, gas laws, and solutions.

How should I prepare for the chemistry exam?

The best way to prepare for the chemistry exam is to review your notes and textbook, practice solving problems and completing practice exams, and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with any concepts.

What types of questions can I expect on the chemistry exam?

The chemistry exam will likely include a combination of multiple choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. Some questions may require you to apply your knowledge to real-world scenarios or analyze data.

What are some common mistakes students make on the chemistry exam?

Some common mistakes students make on the chemistry exam include not studying enough, not understanding the underlying concepts, and not showing all the steps in problem-solving questions. It is also important to carefully read and follow the instructions for each question.

How can I improve my performance on the chemistry exam?

To improve your performance on the chemistry exam, you should make sure to study regularly and consistently throughout the semester, seek help when needed, and practice solving different types of problems. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively during the exam.