What Can I Expect in an HVAC Industrial Placement?

In summary, a student placement with Wozair is a great opportunity for someone with experience in HVAC design or engineering. The work is mostly sales-related, with the aim of helping engineers choose the best equipment for their projects.
JaredJames
Right, not sure where this should go exactly but feel free to re-locate if necessary.

I'm starting a placement as a student engineer in July with a company which specializes in HVAC for industry. I am currently doing a degree in Aerospace Engineering (BEng Hons).

Basically, all I want to know is if anyone has any idea what I can expect. Any ideas on the type of work I will be doing? Whether from experience with HVAC or just a student placement in general.

Here is the description of the job I was given:
WOZAIR
Wozair design and manufacture Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Equipment for the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical, Marine, Nuclear and Process Industries.
The UK headquarters for Wozair are based in Gillingham in Kent
There is a placement opportunity with Wozair for an undergraduate student to work within the projects engineering department assisting engineers with day to day tasks including:
Production of engineering schedules and documentation
Structural and pressure drop calculations
Functional and acceptance testing of manufactured equipment
Modifying and updating and developing excel based manufacturing/engineering software.
For further details of Wozair please look at their website: www.wozair.com

I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate and give me a better idea of exactly what I can expect. Anyone done a similar HVAC placement or any relevant placement they can give me advice from?

I'm not worried about the work (once I know what it is, it's bound to be relevant to my course), but I really don't want to be blind-sided on my first day/week on something simple because I'm not fully sure of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm an HVAC engineer. I design the systems, as opposed to the equipment.

As an intern, I'm not sure what they'll actually have you do, but the task list you have there is relatively straightforward and much of it they should be able to teach you. Don't worry about being a complete newbie. You can't avoid that and you'll need to be able to deal with that gracefully.

The purpose of the job is likely basically sales engineering. Systems design engineers (me) call you and to help select a piece of equipment for their projects. They give you requirements (airflow, pressure, cooling and heating capacity) and you figure out the exact sizing (which fan, what speed it needs to run at, how much energy it uses, etc.) and put together design drawings and performance tables.

Many thanks for that response. Just one thing though, I was skimming through their website and noticed they have project engineers, sales engineers and a development engineer. I was told in the interview I would be working under the senior project engineers. I don't know what that means aside from the task list given. Is project engineer a common title or just something for this company?

Well, looking on the website, it appears they do the entire range of services from the design and manufacture of the equipment to the design and even installation of the systems themselves. Yes, "project engineer" is a generic title (it is mine), and in this case, could mean anything along the entire range of their engineering services. You may be doing a similar job to mine, you may be designing custom equipment. Dunno, exactly.

Hi, sorry to bring this up again, but what sort of thing can I expect on the first day? I'm just a bit nervous and wondering if anyone has had any experience with student placements and what the first few days are like.

jarednjames said:
Hi, sorry to bring this up again, but what sort of thing can I expect on the first day?
You'll probably make a lot of coffee and copies, and spend a lot of time staring at an empty computer screen when you aren't following someone around like a lost puppy.

Good good, what I wanted!:biggrin:

1. What is an HVAC Industrial Placement?

An HVAC Industrial Placement is a program that allows students or recent graduates to gain hands-on experience in the field of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) in an industrial setting. It typically involves working with a company or organization that specializes in HVAC systems and equipment.

2. How long is an HVAC Industrial Placement?

The length of an HVAC Industrial Placement can vary depending on the program and company, but it typically lasts anywhere from 3 months to 1 year. Some programs may also offer part-time placements for students who are still in school.

3. What are the qualifications required for an HVAC Industrial Placement?

The qualifications required for an HVAC Industrial Placement may vary depending on the program and company. Generally, applicants should have a strong academic background in engineering or a related field, as well as some knowledge or experience in HVAC systems. Good communication and problem-solving skills are also important.

4. What are the benefits of participating in an HVAC Industrial Placement?

Participating in an HVAC Industrial Placement can provide several benefits, including gaining practical experience in the HVAC field, developing technical and problem-solving skills, and building a professional network. It can also be a great opportunity to apply classroom knowledge to real-world situations and improve employability after graduation.

5. How can I find an HVAC Industrial Placement program?

There are several ways to find an HVAC Industrial Placement program, including searching online job boards, networking with professionals in the industry, and reaching out to HVAC companies directly. Your university or college may also have resources or connections that can help you find a placement. It's important to research and apply to programs that align with your interests and career goals.