Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint?

In summary, the "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" is a printing error in the second edition of James R. Munkres' textbook on topology, causing the spine to display an incorrect title. The mistake occurred during the printing process and while some may consider it a valuable edition, it is not rare. The content of the book remains unaffected by the misprint and it is unclear if there are plans to correct it in future editions.
altcmdesc
I have no idea where else to ask this:

I have the 2nd edition of the book and I noticed that on the spine of the book it says "Secon Edition" instead of "Second". I'm just wondering if this is on every copy of the second edition of the book? Or, is your copy like this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mine says "Second"!

Maybe they're different printings.

What is the "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint"?

The "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" refers to a printing error in the second edition of James R. Munkres' popular textbook on topology. The error causes the spine of the book to display the title as "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" instead of "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition."

How did the "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" occur?

The misprint occurred due to a mistake in the printing process. The original spine design was accidentally replaced with a placeholder text, resulting in the incorrect title being displayed.

Is the "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" a valuable or rare edition of the book?

While some may consider the misprint to be a unique and valuable edition, it is not necessarily rare. The printing error was present in a large number of copies of the second edition, and the book is still readily available for purchase.

Does the "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" affect the content of the book?

No, the misprint does not affect the content of the book in any way. The text and diagrams within the book are the same as the regular second edition, and the misprint only affects the title on the spine of the book.

Are there any plans to correct the "Munkres' Topology: 2nd Edition Spine Misprint" in future editions?

It is unclear if there are any plans to correct the misprint in future editions of the book. However, many readers and collectors have come to appreciate the unique aspect of the misprint and may prefer to keep it as is.