Can a Silent Object Create a Sonic Boom?

• Thread starter Ginseng
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an object creating a sonic boom when breaking the sound barrier, specifically in relation to a silent propulsion system. The answer is that the creation of a sonic boom is not dependent on the propulsion system, but rather on the pressure waves created by the object moving through the air. The conversation also mentions the Physics Forums as a helpful resource for further information.
Ginseng
Call me crazy, but my fiance has been watching a lot of UFO stuff lately. I am extremely skeptical, but it put a question into my head, that I can not seem to find an answer to in my random searches on google.

Can an object that makes no sound while accelerating create a sonic boom when breaking the sound barrier?

Whenever I read about the sound barrier I find lots of answers on physics theory, calculations, examples, pictures, etc. All things that I have found refer to aircraft breaking the speed of sound. Well we all know how loud planes are, and I can understand the loud sound when a sound is generated by the aircraft itself.

But what about, theoretically, a propulsion system that is completely silent? Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You should note that the creation of a sonic boom has nothing what-so-ever to do with propulsion system of an object. A sonic boom is a result of was is termed a shock. This shock is formed from the pressure waves created by the object simply moving through the air.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom#Causes for more information.

Thanks. I guess I just didnt read far enough down on the wiki page. :) Either way I found the Physics Forum in the process!

Ginseng said:
Either way I found the Physics Forum in the process!
Welcome aboard! It's good to have you here :smile:

1. Can a silent object create a sonic boom?

No, a sonic boom is created by the shock wave produced when an object travels faster than the speed of sound. If the object is silent, it is most likely not traveling at supersonic speeds and therefore cannot create a sonic boom.

2. What types of objects can create sonic booms?

Any object that is capable of traveling faster than the speed of sound can create a sonic boom. This includes aircraft, missiles, and even high-speed trains.

3. How fast does an object need to travel to create a sonic boom?

The speed of sound, also known as Mach 1, varies depending on altitude and temperature. However, on average, an object needs to travel at least 761 miles per hour, or 1,225 kilometers per hour, to create a sonic boom.

4. Are sonic booms harmful to humans?

While sonic booms are extremely loud and can be startling, they are not inherently harmful to humans. However, they can potentially cause damage to buildings and other structures if they are strong enough.

5. Can a sonic boom be prevented?

No, a sonic boom cannot be prevented as it is a natural consequence of an object traveling faster than the speed of sound. However, measures can be taken to reduce the impact and intensity of the sonic boom, such as designing aircraft with more aerodynamic shapes.