Tools for Science: Pentel P207 & Sharp EL531

• Thread starter Monocerotis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the person uses a bic mechanical pencil, a computer with an internet connection, a dilution refrigerator, and Matlab in their work.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
What are your necessary tools when it comes to the world of science ?

Myself...
1) Pentel P207 Mechanical Pencil
2) Sharp EL531 Scientific Calculator

73ih39.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Pentel QE515 "Twist-Erase" 0.5mm
Plain white paper
Fujitsu T4010 Tablet PC
Mathematica 6

Matlab
Simulink

The end.

225px-Skull_and_brain_normal_human.svg.png

You must have some tough callus on your fingers mgb, I thought about it but using a spinal column to do math and physics problems didn't seem too practical, I find it's easier to grip a pen or pencil.

To each their own though...

Gotta have my simple generic bic mechanical pencil.

A computer with an internet connection.

I used to use pen and lined paper, but am experimenting with Ticonderoca pencil and blank printer paper. Not sure which is better, but I'm definitely wasting less paper now.

Also, wikipedia

-Paper
-Mechanical pencil
-PC with: Unix-emulator (MinGW), MPI C++ compiler, DeinoMPI, MATLAB, Maple
-4,000 node supercomputer

Office_Shredder said:
I used to use pen and lined paper, but am experimenting with Ticonderoca pencil and blank printer paper. Not sure which is better, but I'm definitely wasting less paper now.

Also, wikipedia

I have used pen and blank printer paper for years. I hate pencils. My favourite weapon of choice has yet to be mentioned or pictured (in this thread).

Pen, plain white paper, python.

Matlab. It is -and has been throughout my career thus far- far the most important single "weapon" that I use, just about everything I do involves Matlab at some stage. I very rarely do anything on paper, and when I do it is usually on yellow post-it notes which end up all over the place (if you find a post-it note with lots of annhilation/creation operators or resonator parameters on the ground somewhere in London, I'm probably to blame).

I also like "my" dilution refrigerator. Many people that spend a lot of time working on a single piece of kit develop some form of attachment for it and I have become quite fond of my fridge :blushing:
It is not too serious. But let's just say I understand why some people name their cars (although at least I haven't gone that far yet)...

Lots of blank paper, stocks of pentel energel which is good for lefties, a simplest scientific calculator, and a linux kernel is enough to set me off on an adventure.

George Jones said:
I have used pen and blank printer paper for years. I hate pencils.

That is also how I roll.

george jones said:
My favourite weapon of choice has yet to be mentioned or pictured (in this thread)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jeffzycinski/2008/05/images/abacus.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My weapon of choice: You people :)

1. What is the Pentel P207?

The Pentel P207 is a mechanical pencil commonly used by scientists for writing and sketching in their lab notebooks. It has a 0.7mm tip and is known for its durability and comfortable grip.

2. What are the benefits of using the Pentel P207?

The Pentel P207 is known for its precise and consistent writing, making it perfect for recording data and taking notes in a laboratory setting. It also has a refillable lead system, reducing waste and making it a more sustainable option.

3. What is the Sharp EL531 calculator used for in science?

The Sharp EL531 calculator is a scientific calculator that is commonly used in science classes and laboratories. It can perform complex mathematical functions, making it useful for data analysis and problem-solving in various scientific fields.

4. What are the key features of the Sharp EL531 calculator?

The Sharp EL531 calculator has a large display screen, making it easy to read and navigate through calculations. It also has built-in scientific functions such as trigonometric and logarithmic functions, as well as the ability to store and recall previous calculations.

5. Is the Pentel P207 and Sharp EL531 a good combination for scientific work?

Yes, the Pentel P207 and Sharp EL531 are both commonly used tools in scientific work and complement each other well. The Pentel P207 is perfect for writing and sketching, while the Sharp EL531 provides advanced calculation capabilities.