Which fluid is more viscous

In summary, the question asks which fluid, air or water, is more viscous at moderate to high Reynolds numbers in an incompressible flow with velocity V and size L. The Reynolds number is calculated using the equation Re = rho*V*L/mu, and as Re approaches infinity, viscosity approaches zero. Since high Reynolds numbers indicate dominant inertial forces and small viscous forces, water would always be more viscous assuming the same Re, V, and L for both fluids. The fact that the flow is incompressible further supports this conclusion.
UFeng

Homework Statement

Which fluid is more viscous at moderate to high Reynolds number if used in this situation? Air or Water? The flow is incompressible and has velocity V and size L.

Homework Equations

Re = inerial forces/viscous forces = rho*V*L / mu

as Re approaches infinity, viscosity approaches zero

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if Re is high, inertial forces dominate. Therefore, viscous forces are small.

inertial forces / Re = viscous force => wouldn't water always be more viscous assuming the same Re, V, and L is used for both air and water?

I think there is more to this problem that I am missing. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
UFeng said:

Homework Statement

Which fluid is more viscous at moderate to high Reynolds number if used in this situation? Air or Water? The flow is incompressible and has velocity V and size L.

Homework Equations

Re = inerial forces/viscous forces = rho*V*L / mu

as Re approaches infinity, viscosity approaches zero

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if Re is high, inertial forces dominate. Therefore, viscous forces are small.

inertial forces / Re = viscous force => wouldn't water always be more viscous assuming the same Re, V, and L is used for both air and water?

I think there is more to this problem that I am missing. Thanks for any help.

Sounds good to me. Plus the problem states that the flow is incompressible which intuitively would rule out air.

CS

Your understanding is correct. In general, water would be more viscous than air at moderate to high Reynolds number. This is because water has a higher viscosity compared to air, meaning that it has a higher resistance to flow and will experience more viscous forces at the same Reynolds number. However, there are other factors that can affect the viscosity of a fluid, such as temperature and pressure. In some cases, air may have a higher viscosity than water due to these factors. Therefore, it is important to consider all relevant variables when determining which fluid is more viscous in a particular situation.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is the property that describes how thick or thin a fluid is.

2. How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity is typically measured using a viscometer, which is a device that measures the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a tube of a specific size under specific conditions.

3. Which fluid is more viscous: water or oil?

Oil is generally more viscous than water. This is because oil molecules are larger and heavier than water molecules, and therefore have a higher resistance to flow.

4. What factors affect the viscosity of a fluid?

The viscosity of a fluid can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of additives or impurities. Generally, higher temperatures and lower pressures decrease the viscosity of a fluid, while additives or impurities can increase or decrease viscosity depending on their properties.

5. Why is viscosity important?

Viscosity is important because it affects how a fluid behaves and flows. It can impact the performance of machines and equipment that use fluids, and is also important in industries such as medicine, food production, and cosmetics, where the viscosity of fluids plays a crucial role in product quality.