The Speed of light vs a stick?

In summary, a rigid stick would move faster than a deformed stick because the deformation would travel slower than the speed of light. The speed of sound can be close to the speed of light, which is why white dwarfs can liquify into neutron stars.
Stupid_1
Hi,

Ok, so i posted this on another forum and got a lot of different answers. My main question is:

Imagine this, i am somewhere between the moon and the Earth and my friend John is on Pluto. In my right hand i have an unbreakable stick ( for the sake of argument ) that reached all the way to John, in my left hand i have a light-switch that i could turn off the sun with instantly.

If i were to yank the stick at the same time as i flipped the switch for the sun, what would John notice first, the sun going out or the stick moving?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
He would notice the sun going out first. The stick cannot transfer information as fast as the speed of light. If that doesn't make sense to you, consider that there is no such thing as a perfectly rigid stick. The stick would deform, and that deformation would travel at some velocity down the stick slower than the speed of light (Actually, the velocity would probably be the speed of sound within that stick, which would be vastly slower).

I see, thanks for the answer.

Hi there,

I agree with the answer given, but something confused me.

Matterwave said:
If that doesn't make sense to you, consider that there is no such thing as a perfectly rigid stick.

I thought the question was an unbreakble stick and not a rigid stick. From my understanding, the stick can be deformed, just not broke apart.

Secondly, why the speed of sound? Information can be transferred in solid objects through phonons, which have nothing to do with the speed of sound. But there again, I agree that the transfer velocity would be quite a bit less than the speed of light.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
Secondly, why the speed of sound? Information can be transferred in solid objects through phonons, which have nothing to do with the speed of sound.

They actually do. Phonons are vibrations, and the speed of sound is the speed at which vibrations get transmitted through an object.

But there again, I agree that the transfer velocity would be quite a bit less than the speed of light.

Not necessarily, in astrophysical objects, the speed of sound can be close to the speed of light. This is partly what causes white dwarfs to collapse into neutron stars. When the speed of sound gets close to the speed of light, the white dwarf becomes non-rigid and liquifies into a neutron star.

There is no such thing as an infinitely rigid stick/string. This is forbidden by GR. A stick/string compresses/stretches before the other end moves. A compression/tensile wave causes the other end to move. That wave can never travel in excess of c.

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

I agree with the answer given, but something confused me.

I thought the question was an unbreakble stick and not a rigid stick. From my understanding, the stick can be deformed, just not broke apart.
Okay, so the non-rigid stick answer is still valid.

Secondly, why the speed of sound? Information can be transferred in solid objects through phonons, which have nothing to do with the speed of sound. But there again, I agree that the transfer velocity would be quite a bit less than the speed of light.
Exuse me? Phonon, by definition, travel at the speed of sound in the object.

Cheers

There is also no such thing as an unbreakable stick. The binding energy must be finite, and therefore the bonds in the stick must be breakable. There is no such thing in nature that produces an infinite binding energy (maybe a black hole? Not sure about that, but in any case, that's not a stick...).

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant that represents the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

What is a stick?

A stick is a long, thin piece of wood or other material used for various purposes, such as support, writing, or measurement.

How does the speed of light compare to the speed of a stick?

The speed of light is significantly faster than the speed of a stick. While the speed of light is constant and cannot be exceeded, the speed of a stick depends on various factors, such as the material it is made of and the force exerted on it.

Can a stick ever reach the speed of light?

No, a stick cannot reach the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

Why is the speed of light considered a universal speed limit?

The speed of light is considered a universal speed limit because it is the maximum speed at which any form of matter or energy can travel. It is a fundamental aspect of the laws of physics and has been consistently observed in numerous experiments and observations.