Calculating Difficult Integral: Int(-8,8)iduexp(cx)exp(iu)/(c+iu)R(c+iu)

• Thread starter eljose79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with calculating an integral, specifically the integral of exp(sx)/sR(s) where R(sd) is Riemann's function. The person suggests making a change of variable and using a numerical method to solve it, but another person mentions that knowing the poles of R(s) would be necessary for an accurate solution. The conversation also touches on using LaTeX for easier readability and converting the integral to an infinite series.
eljose79
I have problems calculating the integral (here 8 means infinite)

Int(c-i8,c+i8)dsexp(sx)/sR(s) where R(sd) is Riemann,s function i make the change of variable s=c+iu so the new limits are

Int(-8,8)iduexp(cx)exp(iu)/(c+iu)R(c+iu) now what numerical method could i use to calculate it?..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the analitic expression of R?

R(s) is Riemann,s zeta function R(s)=1+2^s+3^s+4^s+....

hope no Feynman you could give me a hand.

if only you knew where all the poles were. and if you took a couple of minutes to learn some basic latex your posts would be easier to read. try the thread in general physics

Latex is hard for me to understand,there are lots opf instruction in fact in the integral...we could do..

Int(-8,8)duexp(iux)/R(c+iu) instead of putting 8 (8=infinite) put N with N big (for example N=10^200000000000) make the change of variable u=Nt then the integral becomes:

Int(-1,1)Ndtexp(iNtx)/R(c+iNt) now the integral (-1,1) can be computed approximately using Gaussian integration.

Yes you could solve it knowing where the poles are but for the function 1/R(s) there are infinite poles so we substitute the problme of calculating an integral to the problem of calculating an infinite series which is not much better.

1. How do you approach solving this difficult integral?

Solving this integral involves using a combination of techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and the use of complex numbers. It also requires a good understanding of the properties of exponential and trigonometric functions.

2. What is the significance of the limits of integration (-8,8)?

The limits of integration determine the range over which the integral is evaluated. In this case, the range is from -8 to 8, which means the integral is being evaluated over a symmetrical interval.

3. What is the role of the complex number (c+iu) in the integral?

The complex number (c+iu) appears in the denominator of the integrand and is key to solving this integral. It allows us to use complex analysis techniques, such as the method of residues, to evaluate the integral.

4. Can this integral be solved without using complex numbers?

Yes, it is possible to solve this integral without using complex numbers, but it would be significantly more challenging and require a different approach. Using complex numbers simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve.

5. What are some applications of this type of integral?

Integrals of this type are commonly used in physics, particularly in the study of oscillatory systems. They also have applications in engineering, specifically in electrical and signal processing systems. In mathematics, they are useful in the calculation of Fourier transforms and in the study of complex variables.