Simple average speed/average velocity problem

In summary, Jeremy is training for a boxing match and runs at an average speed of 16 km/h for the first 8.0 km and returns to the training camp at an average speed of 10 km/h. His total time taken is 1.3 hours and his total distance is 16 km. Therefore, his average speed is 12.3 km/h and his average velocity is 0 since there is no displacement from the starting point.
SoConfused__

Homework Statement

Jeremy is training for a boxing match. He runs due north at an average speed of 16km/h for the first 8.0 km and returns to the training camp at an average speed of 10 km/h. Calculate his average speed and his velocity.

Homework Equations

Vavg = Total Distance / Total Time
Average Velocity = Final displacement / Total time taken

The Attempt at a Solution

16 km/h for first 8.0 km = 0.5 hours
10 km/h for the trip back = 0.8 hours
Total time taken = 1.3 hours
Total distance = 16 km

Average speed = 16/1.3
=12.3 km/h.

The answer on my sheet is 12km/h. Am I doing something wrong or is it just rounded?
For average velocity, would it be 0? Since there is no displacement from the starting point?

I am just starting physics, and I just need guidance in the right direction.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calcs look good. Yes, the answer should be rounded to 2 digits since all the given quantities are accurate to 2 digits.

Alright, thank you!
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I just want to make sure my work is correct before going forward.

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, regardless of direction. Average velocity is the displacement (change in position) divided by the total time taken, taking into account direction.

2. How do you calculate average speed/velocity?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken: speed = distance/time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the total time taken: velocity = displacement/time.

3. What units are used for average speed/velocity?

The units for average speed are distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour. The units for average velocity are distance per time, with a direction, such as meters per second north or miles per hour east.

4. Can the average speed/velocity be negative?

Yes, the average speed/velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction or if the displacement is in the negative direction. This indicates a change in direction or a return to the starting point.

5. How is average speed/velocity useful in real-life situations?

Average speed/velocity can be used to calculate the distance traveled or the time taken for a trip or journey. It is also useful in determining the efficiency of transportation methods, such as cars or airplanes, and can be used to monitor and improve performance in sports and other physical activities.