Rate of Change of electric field

In summary, the rate at which the electric field is changing between the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated by using the equation E = Q/(Cd), where Q is the charge on the plates, C is the capacitance, and d is the separation distance. Rearranging this equation, we can also use the current (I) and area (A) to calculate the rate of change of the electric field, dE/dt = 1/(Cd)*dQ/dt = I/(C*A). This equation can be derived by relating the potential difference (V) to the capacitance (C) and using the definition of capacitance, C = Q/V.
sdoyle1

Homework Statement

At a given instant, a 3.8 A current flows in the wires connected to a parallel-plate capacitor. What is the rate at which the electric field is changing between the plates if the square plates are 1.76 cm on a side?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start...
Could you use the change in length=perm of free space(I +E(sub o)*Change in E) ? I don't know if this is even an equation..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a parallel-plate capacitor, you can write the potential difference across the plates as

V = E*d

with as the potential difference, E as the electric field, and d as the separation distance. You can rearrange for E

E = V/d

If you look at V, we can relate it to the capacitance, C, by the definition C = Q/V. This becomes V = Q/C

E = Q/(Cd)

If we take the rate of chance of the left hand side and right hand side with respect to time,

dE/dt = 1/(Cd)*dQ/dt, but dQ/dt = I = the 3.8A you were given.

We can then replace C with the expression you attempted, C = ([tex]\epsilon[/tex]o)*(A/d) (this only holds for parallel plates!), cancel d, and we're left with an equation for dE/dt (rate of change for the electric field) with constants and your given quantities, I and the area, A.

makes so much sense with calculus.. our prof doesn't want us using calc b/c its not advanced 1st year physics.. I didn't think about deriving the equation, just assumed there was one already set.. thanks so much!

1. What is the definition of rate of change of electric field?

The rate of change of electric field is a measure of how quickly the strength and direction of an electric field is changing over a certain period of time. It is also known as the electric field gradient or electric field intensity.

2. How is rate of change of electric field calculated?

The rate of change of electric field is calculated by taking the derivative of the electric field with respect to time. This can be done using the equation:
dE/dt = (E2 - E1) / (t2 - t1)
where E1 and E2 are the electric field values at two different times t1 and t2.

3. What are the units of rate of change of electric field?

The units of rate of change of electric field depend on the units of the electric field and time being used. In SI units, the unit for electric field is volts per meter (V/m) and the unit for time is seconds (s), so the unit for rate of change of electric field is volts per meter per second (V/m/s).

4. What factors can affect the rate of change of electric field?

The rate of change of electric field can be affected by various factors such as the distance between charges, the amount of charge, and the medium through which the electric field passes. Additionally, the presence of other electric fields or external forces can also impact the rate of change of electric field.

5. Why is the rate of change of electric field important?

The rate of change of electric field is important because it helps us understand how electric fields behave and how they can affect charged particles. It is also crucial in various applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, telecommunications, and energy production. Additionally, the rate of change of electric field plays a role in electromagnetic radiation and can have impacts on health and the environment.