Is It Worth Taking Multiple Math Classes for a Good Professor?

• Thread starter JonF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: I think that would be a better idea. You would only have 2 classes on top of the 50 hours.That sounds like a better plan.
JonF
My school teaches differential equations and linear algebra at the same time. And this upcoming semester is my favorite professors last semester teaching it for a pretty good while.

Do you guys think it is worth taking three math classes (calc3, de, la) at a time to have a good professor? If I wait on the DE/LA the professor I will take it with the semester after isn’t that good.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops meant to post in general math

When i was an undergrad i took 3 classes in one semester (linear alg,difEQ,real analysis) and i took 5 classes once as a grad student in one semester, so i would say go for it. Good teachers are hard to find.

How many classes do you plan to take total. I wouldn't take to many if you are going to take 3 math classes.

Among those 3 courses, I'd say that for Linear Algebra, it's nice to have a good teacher. Less so for Calc and DE.

Just my opinion.

those three, calc based physics and 50 hours of work a week

JonF said:

VERY BAD IDEA - do NOT do that ! :mad:

but 10 of those hours of work are as a math tutor...

so you say wait?

Pick one, (maybe two) courses. I strongly advise against taking 3 - you will do yourself a disservice by trying that. And yes, wait.

Yes definitely that sounds like its going to hurt you bad if you overload.

It depends on how hard you are willing to work. You could take all 3 classes. I have been taking 7 classes every semester since my sophmore year without any problems. If you can study hardcore for hours on end then you can do all 3.

usually it is foolish to take more than 2 math classes.

JonF said:

Holy smokes, 4 classes on top of 50 hours of work? I can't imagine trying that. I never took more than 5 math classes at a time, and always as a full time student.

Can you postpone calc 3 and the physics course? Then you'd only have 2 courses on top of 50 hours of work...still not something I'd want to consider! What kind of courseload do you normally handle on top of the working?

Well I usually take roughly 18 units normally. But up until now they have been like ½ english classes or something along those lines. No offense to you English people, but those classes don’t really count. I think ill cut the physics and some hours at work.

1. Is it necessary to take math classes?

It depends on your field of study and career goals. For some professions, such as engineering or finance, math classes are essential. However, for other fields, they may not be as important.

2. What benefits do math classes offer?

Math classes develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and quantitative reasoning. These skills are useful in a wide range of careers and everyday life.

3. Are math classes difficult?

Math classes can be challenging, but with dedication, practice, and effective study strategies, they can be mastered. It is important to seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

4. Can I skip math classes if I am not good at math?

It is not recommended to skip math classes if you struggle with the subject. Math skills build upon each other, and skipping classes can lead to gaps in understanding. It is better to seek help and practice until you understand the material.

5. Will taking math classes improve my overall GPA?

Taking math classes can improve your overall GPA if you perform well in them. However, if math is not your strongest subject, it is important to balance your course load with classes in which you excel to maintain a good GPA.