Lagrange multiplier with inequality and point constraint?

In summary: OK, so to solve for g(x,y,z)\equiv r^2, you first want to solve for x^2+y^2+z^2. x^2+y^2+z^2 < 136 + 2(x+2y+3z)So, the equation for g(x,y,z)\equiv r^2 can be written as:g(x,y,z)=-136+2x+4y+6z
mintygreen
Find an equation of the largest sphere that passes through the point (-1,1,4) and is such that each of the points (x,y,z) inside the sphere satisfies the condition

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 < 136 + 2(x + 2y + 3z)

I know this problem requires Lagrange multipliers. I assume that x^2 + y^2 + z^2 is the f(x,y,z) that I want to maximize and I think that 2x + 4y + 6z = -136 is my g(x,y,z)=k? Beyond that, I can't figure out how to work with the inequality or incorporate the sphere passing through the points... Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with the basics...what is the equation of a sphere centered at [itex](a,b,c)[/itex] with radius [itex]r[/itex]? If [itex](-1,1,4)[/itex] lies on that sphere, what can you say about [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]?

Ok, so the forumula is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2. If (-1,1,4) lies on the sphere, can we say that what r must equal at least what we get for r when we substitute -1,1,and 4 for the values of x,y, and z in this equation?

mintygreen said:
Ok, so the forumula is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2.

Good.

If (-1,1,4) lies on the sphere, can we say that what r must equal at least what we get for r when we substitute -1,1,and 4 for the values of x,y, and z in this equation?

Sort of.. all you can really say is that [itex](-1-a)^2+(1-b)^2+(4-c)^2=r^2[/itex]...which gives you one constraint.

Now, what quantity are you trying to maximize when you want as large a sphere as possible?

(-1-a)^2 + (1-b)^2 + (Z-c)^2 = R^2 can be simplified to

a^2 + b^2 +c^2 +2a-2b-8c = r ^2 -18

Since, (a,b,c) lies inside the circle,

a^2 + b^2 +c^2 < 136 +2a+4b+6c

=> a^2 + b^2 +c^2-2a-4b-6c < 136

So, to maximize r don't we need to maximize (a, b, c)?

how do you maximize a^2 + b^2 +c^2-2a-4b-6c < 136 given a^2 + b^2 +c^2 +2a-2b-8c = r ^2 -18?

gabbagabbahey said:
Good.

Sort of.. all you can really say is that [itex](-1-a)^2+(1-b)^2+(4-c)^2=r^2[/itex]...which gives you one constraint.

Now, what quantity are you trying to maximize when you want as large a sphere as possible?

you're trying to maximize the radius, but how do you do that with the inequality?

OK, so I guess that solves the problem of incorporating (-1,1,4).

Can we actually say we want to maximize this equation, because we want to maximize the radius of the sphere?

Does 2x + 4y + 6z = -136 still work as a constraint, and if so, how do I incorporate the fact that it must be greater than our maximized sphere? Or, can we simply set it equal because the problem specifies that all points INSIDE the sphere satisfies the condition?

mathymath said:
(-1-a)^2 + (1-b)^2 + (Z-c)^2 = R^2 can be simplified to

Since, (a,b,c) lies inside the circle,

a^2 + b^2 +c^2 < 136 +2a+4b+6c

=> a^2 + b^2 +c^2-2a-4b-6c < 136

So, to maximize r don't we need to maximize (a, b, c)?

It's true that (a,b,c) lies inside the sphere, but that certainly won't be the only point that does. In order to get the most information possible out of the inequality constraint, you just leave x, y and z as-is.

And no, you don't need to maximize a,b and c...you only need to find the values of a,b and c that maximize the radius.

mintygreen said:
OK, so I guess that solves the problem of incorporating (-1,1,4).

Can we actually say we want to maximize this equation, because we want to maximize the radius of the sphere?

Does 2x + 4y + 6z = -136 still work as a constraint, and if so, how do I incorporate the fact that it must be greater than our maximized sphere? Or, can we simply set it equal because the problem specifies that all points INSIDE the sphere satisfies the condition?

First, are you also yaffa, mathymath and/or letsgobuffalo? If so, you will find that using a single account will cause less confusion and get you quicker help (I held off responding further until you posted again), and having multiple accounts is against forum rules.

Anyways, you want to maximize the radius (you might as well maximize [itex]r^2[/itex] to make things easier) of the sphere [itex]r^2=(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2+(z-c)^2[/itex] and you have two constraints:

(1) [tex](-1-a)^2 + (1-b)^2 + (4-c)^2 = r^2=(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2+(z-c)^2[/itex]

(2) [itex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 < 136 + 2(x + 2y + 3z)[/itex]

So, start by defining [itex]f(x,y,z)\equiv r^2=(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2+(z-c)^2[/itex] and then rewrite your constraints so they are in the form [itex]g(x,y,z)=0[/itex] and [itex]h(x,y,z)<0[/itex] and then use the method covered in your text.

No, this is my only account. I posted again because I figured you were holding off posting until I responded.

First of all, thank you so much for the help. I'm still struggling even though I think I set up the equation correctly, I think its just figuring out how to work everything out algebraically.
f(x,y,z)' = Lg(x,y,z)' + Mh(x,y,z)'
2(x-a)=L2(x-a) + M(2x -2)
2(y-b)=L2(x-b) + M(2y-2)
2(z-c)=L2(z-c) + M(2z-3)
2ax + 2a + 2by -2 - 2cy + 2cz - x^2 - z^2 + 2= 0
x^2 - 2x + y^2 -2y + z^2 -3z <136

I've been trying to work it all out, but there are SO many variables, and nothing is reducing easily...

1. What is the Lagrange multiplier method with inequality and point constraint?

The Lagrange multiplier method with inequality and point constraint is a mathematical technique used to optimize a function subject to both an inequality constraint and a point constraint. It involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying these constraints.

2. How does the Lagrange multiplier method work?

The Lagrange multiplier method involves constructing a Lagrangian function by combining the original objective function with the constraints. This function is then optimized by taking the partial derivatives with respect to the variables and finding the values that satisfy the constraints.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method allows for the optimization of a function with both inequality and point constraints, which may not be possible using other methods. It also provides a systematic approach to finding the optimal solution and can be applied to a wide range of problems in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What are some common applications of the Lagrange multiplier method?

The Lagrange multiplier method has many applications in fields such as economics, physics, engineering, and operations research. Some common examples include finding the maximum profit for a company subject to production and resource constraints, optimizing the path of a particle moving under the influence of forces, and minimizing the cost of a construction project while meeting safety regulations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange multiplier method?

While the Lagrange multiplier method is a powerful tool for optimization, it does have some limitations. It may not work for functions with multiple local optima or if the constraints are not differentiable. It also requires the use of derivatives, which may be difficult to calculate for complex functions.