Normal Random Variables Question

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving normal random variables and their corresponding mean and variance. The first problem (B) involves finding the probability of a certain range for a normal random variable Y, while the second problem (D) involves finding the expected value and variance of a function R that is dependent on a normal random variable H. The conversation also mentions a general formula for calculating the probability of a range for a normally distributed random variable and a formula for the expected value and variance of a function of a random variable. The person speaking expresses confusion and asks for help with solving the problems.
Onetimeuser

Homework Statement

Problem 1 – Normal Random Variables

B) Y ~ N(300, 100). Pr (300 < Y < 320) = 0.4772

D) H ~ N(4000, 25). R = f(H) = 0.5H – 60. E(R) = 1940; Var(R) = 156.25I have a problem solving these problems above...I missed the class when we covered this subject and now I am lost upon solving them.. I hope somebody can help, thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
For a normally distributed random variable,

[tex]
P(a < X < b) = P(X < b) - P(X < a)
[/tex]

For any random variable [itex] W [/itex], if [itex] a, b [/itex] are real numbers,
and

[tex]
Z = aW + b
[/tex]

then

[tex]
E(Z) = aE(W) + b, \quad Var(Z) = a^2 Var(W)
[/tex]

(as long as the mean and variance of [itex] W [/itex] exist)

Thanks for the reply!

However, when I plug it in I dnt get the right answer... did u check if the given answer is right?

1. What is a normal random variable?

A normal random variable is a continuous random variable that follows a normal distribution. This means that the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean, with most of the data falling within one standard deviation of the mean. It is often used to model natural phenomena such as human height or IQ scores.

2. How is a normal random variable different from other types of random variables?

Unlike other types of random variables, a normal random variable has a specific probability distribution known as the normal distribution. This distribution has a bell-shaped curve and is characterized by its mean and standard deviation. Other types of random variables may have different distributions, such as the binomial distribution or the Poisson distribution.

3. What is the formula for calculating probabilities for a normal random variable?

The formula for calculating probabilities for a normal random variable is given by the standard normal distribution formula: P(x < b) = Φ(b), where Φ(b) is the cumulative probability up to the value b. This formula can be used to calculate the probability of a value falling within a certain range, or the probability of a value being greater than or less than a specific value.

4. How is a normal random variable used in statistical analysis?

A normal random variable is commonly used in statistical analysis to model and analyze real-world data. It allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample of data. It is also used in hypothesis testing, where we compare a sample mean to a population mean to determine if there is a significant difference between the two.

5. What are some real-life examples of a normal random variable?

Some real-life examples of a normal random variable include human height, IQ scores, and body temperature. These variables are typically normally distributed, meaning that most individuals fall within a certain range of values around the mean. Other examples may include stock market returns, weather patterns, and test scores.