Shear and Bending Moment Diagrams for a Ski

In summary, the question asks for the intensity of snow loading on the bottom surface of a ski, which supports the weight of a person. The loading is trapezoidal in shape and the ski has an overall length of 2m. The shear and bending moment diagrams need to be drawn for the ski. The conversation involves discussing how to approach the question and how to properly represent the loading and forces in the diagrams.
Andyoh15

Homework Statement

The ski supports the 900N weight of a person. If the snow loading on its bottom surface is trapezoidal determine the intensity w (N/m). Draw the shear and bending moment diagrams for the ski.
The ski has an overall length of 2m. The force arrows 'hang' of the bottom of the ski, sloping downwards for .5m then horizontal for 1m and then joining back to the other end of the ski.
Sorry but I ain't very good with descriptions.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be brutally honest I don't a clue how to tackle this question. I've done other shear and bending moment diagrams before but the trapezoid has really thrown me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clue: The area of the trapezoid is equal to the applied load.

Here's the original question and what I think is how the point loads will look.

Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • POINT LOADS.png
    POINT LOADS.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 744
Your values correctly sum up the areas. So, now you can deduce the value of w. However, to obtain the shear and bending moment diagrams, you must express these functions based on the distributed nature of the loads, not the point loads you have shown. A good beginning would be: Let x be the distance from the left hand end. Derive a function of x that represents the loading w(x) in the first 0.5 m Then you are in a good position to develop expressions for shear and moment.

Here is my latest attempt. After several tries I think this is the closest I've gotten. Seems pretty wrong to me tho

Attachments

• Shear.png
    Shear.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 620
  • bending.png
    bending.png
    2 KB · Views: 580
You need to show your working if you are to receive more detailed criticism. You seem to be unaware of the definitions of shear force and bending moment. Take shear first. There are two definitions of shear, and each one can be proved from the other. The simplest is to imagine a section through the ski blade. In this case, a vertical section. The first definition of shear is that it is the algebraic sum of forces on one side of the section and which are parallel to it. In other words (the alternative definition) the integral or area of the loading diagram on one side of the section. In the toe zone, the loading diagram is a function of x to the power 1. Therefore in that zone, one must expect a shear function of x to the power 2. In the central zone, the loading is a constant value up to the central load, (a function of x to the power zero) and therefore one expects the expression for shear force in that zone to be straight line (x to power 1). In your diagram for shear, you seem to have these two qualities interchanged for the two zones. When you draw the diagrams, you should put on the leading values. If you get this right, the bending moment diagram will seem easier.

1. What is a shear and bending moment diagram?

A shear and bending moment diagram, also known as an SFD and BMD, is a graphical representation of the forces and moments acting on a beam. It shows the variations of shear force and bending moment along the length of the beam.

2. How are shear and bending moment diagrams useful for skis?

Shear and bending moment diagrams are useful for skis because they help to determine the maximum stress and deformation that the ski may experience while in use. This information can be used to design more durable and efficient skis.

3. What factors affect the shear and bending moment on a ski?

The shear and bending moment on a ski are affected by several factors, including the weight of the skier, the speed and direction of the ski, the type of snow and terrain, and the design and materials of the ski itself.

4. How do you construct a shear and bending moment diagram for a ski?

To construct a shear and bending moment diagram for a ski, you will need to first calculate the reactions at the supports and then determine the internal forces and moments at various points along the ski. These values can then be plotted on a graph to create the diagram.

5. How can shear and bending moment diagrams help improve ski design?

Shear and bending moment diagrams provide valuable information about the stress and deformation experienced by a ski, which can be used to improve its design. By analyzing the diagram, engineers can identify areas of high stress and make design changes to create a stronger and more efficient ski.