Stupid me with a stupid question about Wireless internet

In summary, the speaker is experiencing difficulty playing online games while using Skype and suspects there may be an issue with network priorities. They have tried adjusting settings and muting Skype, but the problem persists. They are frustrated and considering contacting their internet service provider for a solution.
AutisticAlien
I hope this is the right place to post this...

I've been having trouble with Skype lately. I can't play online games (I've been struggling with League Of Legends lately) while I'm on skype. The problem is skype, and I assume this shouldn't be happening since I know people with less bandwith than my own and no problems like this at all. With skype alone I have no problems, nor with the game alone.

I suspect there's an issue with assigning priorities within the network, but I can't figure it out, and I don't know what to do. This is frustrating. I tried setting the startup type as 'manual' in the 'Wireless Zero Configuration' properties inside Computer Management (I read about it in a website) and it helped, but only for a match and a half. I also tried muting skype while playing (I mean muting my microphone, so I could still hear the rest of the players), so the connection would be a little less clogged, but it didn't work either.

This may not be such big of a deal, but it's definitely irritating, and it shouldn't be this way. I have a bandwith of 3MB and my router is a Scientific Atlanta brand. Should I just call the people who provide me with Internet service and ***** on them for a while or is there something I can do? Also, right now I have no other option than wireless, so I can't just set up a cable connection.

Thanks a lot!

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is Wireless Internet?

Wireless Internet, also known as WiFi, is a way of connecting to the internet without the use of physical cables. It uses radio waves to transmit data between devices and a wireless router, allowing users to access the internet from anywhere within the range of the router's signal.

2. How does Wireless Internet work?

Wireless Internet works by using a device, such as a laptop or smartphone, to connect to a wireless router. The router sends and receives data to and from the internet through a wired connection. The router then transmits the data wirelessly to the connected devices, allowing them to access the internet.

3. What devices can connect to Wireless Internet?

Many devices can connect to Wireless Internet, including laptops, smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, and smart home devices. As long as the device has a wireless network adapter, it can connect to a wireless network.

4. Is Wireless Internet secure?

Wireless Internet can be secure if proper measures are taken. It is important to use strong passwords for your wireless network and regularly update the router's firmware. Additionally, using a virtual private network (VPN) can provide an extra layer of security when using public WiFi networks.

5. What is the range of a Wireless Internet connection?

The range of a Wireless Internet connection can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of router, interference from other devices, and physical obstacles. Generally, the range can extend up to a few hundred feet, but it is recommended to stay within 50-100 feet for a strong and stable connection.