Prove: Does {An^2} Converges Implies {An} Converges? True/False & How to Prove?

In summary, the conversation is about the convergence of sequence {An^2} and whether it implies the convergence of sequence {An}. The person initially thinks it is false but is unable to find a counterexample. They then attempt to use the definition of convergence and the Comparison Lemma to prove it, but get stuck. The other person suggests choosing a specific sequence {An^2} and shows that it converges to 1 while {An} does not converge. This proves that the implication is false.
cxc001
Convergence of Sequence "Does {An^2} converges => {An} converges? How to prove it?"

Does sequence {An^2} converges implies to sequence {An} converges? True or False. How to prove it?

I kinda think it is false, but couldn’t think of any counterexample to directly proof it. So I try to use the 1) definition of convergence and 2) the Comparison Lemma to prove it, but kinda stucked.

Proof1: (Use definition of convergence)
Let sequence An^2 converges to a^2
Then according to the definition of convergence
For every E>0, Find N such that
|An^2-a^2|<E for all n>N
|(An-a)(An+a)|=|An-a||An+a|<E
|An-a|<E/|An+a|)

How can I go from here?

So if I can let N=E/|An+a|+1, then An converges to a. But I can’t define N that has a sequence in it, can I?

Comparison Lemma states “Let sequence {An} converges to a, and let {Bn} be a sequence such that |Bn-b|<= C|An-a| for some C>0, then Bn converges to b”

Proof2: (Use Comparison Lemma)
Let sequence An^2 converges to a^2
Let {An} be a sequence such that |An-a|<=C|An^2-a^2| for some C>0
Now I need to find an C>0 so that I can prove that sequence An converges to a

How can I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your first proof looks OK unless a=0.

1, -1, 1, -1, 1, -1, ...

awkward said:
1, -1, 1, -1, 1, -1, ...

:approve:

So choose sequence An^2 = [(-1)^n]^2 and the sequence An^2 converges to 1, but An is NOT convergent (divergent) sequence. Super! Thanks!

1. Does the convergence of {An^2} imply the convergence of {An}?

Yes, if {An^2} converges, then it follows that {An} converges as well.

2. Is the statement "convergence of {An^2} implies the convergence of {An}" always true?

No, this statement is not always true. There are counterexamples where {An^2} converges but {An} does not converge.

3. How can I prove that {An^2} converges implies the convergence of {An}?

You can prove this by using the limit comparison test or the ratio test.

4. What is the intuition behind why {An^2} converges implies the convergence of {An}?

The intuition behind this is that as n approaches infinity, the term n^2 grows faster than n, so if {An^2} converges, then {An} must also converge as the term n^2 will dominate and drive the convergence of the series.

5. Can the convergence of {An^2} imply the divergence of {An}?

Yes, it is possible for the convergence of {An^2} to imply the divergence of {An}. This can happen when the series {An} is alternating and the terms alternate between positive and negative values, causing the terms to cancel each other out and preventing the series from converging.