How long did it take to move on

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
In summary: How long did it take you to get over someone? Was it a crush/infatuation/etc? What was the longest, how did it proceed and how did you finally get them out of your head?In summary, it took a long time to get over my worst heartbreak. It took about a year, and it was made worse by how he broke up with me.
Dembadon said:
Gender is irrelevant. If you've done something wrong, own up to it and apologize. That's what mature adults of either gender do. Also, a real man can own up to mistakes without feeling insecure; it's a sign of integrity, and is an admirable characteristic in a partner. One is not exempt from taking personal responsibility for one's actions based on one's gender. That's just ridiculous.

Owning up to your mistakes is one thing, apologizing to a woman who broke up with you is another. It's about self-respect, and indeed, about integrity.

A woman broke up with him and did him emotional harm. She is the one in charge in that situation, and his apologizing to her reinforced that dynamic, which will not help him get over her, or help him feel good about himself. Lowering yourself before someone who did you harm is a terribly self-destructive behavior, and has nothing to do with owning up to mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
wasteofo2 said:
Owning up to your mistakes is one thing, apologizing to a woman who broke up with you is another. It's about self-respect, and indeed, about integrity.

Why is different ? If you do something stupid, it makes really no difference she is breaking up with you or not.

wasteofo2 said:
A woman broke up with him and did him emotional harm.

So what ? Some relationships end. You can't ask anyone to stay with you when they don't want.

wasteofo2 said:
She is the one in charge in that situation, and his apologizing to her reinforced that dynamic, which will not help him get over her, or help him feel good about himself.

How could an "Im sorry" be a significant variable in any dealing with breakup ? It would take a person with an extremely flimsy mind to be so affected by 2 words.
wasteofo2 said:
Lowering yourself before someone who did you harm is a terribly self-destructive behavior, and has nothing to do with owning up to mistakes.

You have an erroneous perception about what "Im sorry" means. It's not lowering before anyone, especially not before a women you spent time in a relationship and you wronged her.

All the evidence is right here:

simfiish said:
I had the opportunity to profusely apologize to her for about 2 months after the breakup, after which she practically stopped reading my blog.

She dumped him, he tried to apologize to make things better, and she rejected him further. His strategy got him an extra dose of rejection on top of what he already faced.

wasteofo2 said:
All the evidence is right here:

She dumped him, he tried to apologize to make things better, and she rejected him further. His strategy got him an extra dose of rejection on top of what he already faced.

Strategy ? Extra rejection ? That's bull. You apologize for the **** you made, not to get back together with a chick.

I would suggest for anyone who wants to listen to stay in good relations, when/if possible, with your ex girlfriends. Having good relationships with a network of females pays off big time.

It won't gimp your testosterone, I promise you.

DanP said:
Strategy ? Extra rejection ? That's bull. You apologize for the **** you made, not to get back together with a chick.

I never said anything about getting back together with anyone, it's about maintaining your self respect and dignity.

If your goal is to have good relations with your ex in order to eventaully get with her friends, apologizing until she removes herself from your life even more is not the way to do that.

Although there's no reason you should have to rely on you ex to introduce you to new girls.

wasteofo2 said:
I never said anything about getting back together with anyone, it's about maintaining your self respect and dignity.

Whatever floats your boat man.

drizzle said:
It only depends on the person if s/he would let go or not. So, it might take a min/day/week or even years.

Agree!
I guess sometimes people just don't want to let it go since they're afraid of not meeting any other cool person in the near future!:wink:

I'm in the process of divorce and am already over her.

So, I guess it took me -3 to -6 months.

=D Haha.

OK I feel like I should update on my progress. Perhaps when they dig up the server in a thousand years they would get an insight into the dynamics of human relationships, who knows.

Well I've been reeling from this infatuation but like I said, I've mostly moved on. Well I met someone new, and even though things are very slow to start, I'm neither in a hurry to jump into a relationship or friendship. Peeling away her defenses has been fun so far, and it seems there is a sweet core beneath it all :biggrin:

SO my advise to anyone struggling.. move on. There is always a perfect mate out there for you - someone who won't reject you.

cronxeh said:
OK I feel like I should update on my progress. Perhaps when they dig up the server in a thousand years they would get an insight into the dynamics of human relationships, who knows.

Well I've been reeling from this infatuation but like I said, I've mostly moved on. Well I met someone new, and even though things are very slow to start, I'm neither in a hurry to jump into a relationship or friendship. Peeling away her defenses has been fun so far, and it seems there is a sweet core beneath it all :biggrin:

SO my advise to anyone struggling.. move on. There is always a perfect mate out there for you - someone who won't reject you.

Congrats for moving on!

Don't take it too slow now, don't want to end up in the friend zone.

I listen to a CBC show called Wiretap, one episode the show read a bunch of submissions on this site:
http://dearoldlove.tumblr.com/
It's a pretty interesting read, oddly cathartic. :/