Galaxies - spiral arms split, why?

In summary, galaxies have spiral arms that do not make sense based on only gravity and mass. Spiral arms are areas of star formation, and the arms are apparent due to the increased number of blue stars. The arms are also due to the gravity field rotating around the center.
precisionart
Why do the spiral arms of galaxies split or bifurcate? Is this due to a previous merger or some kind of current?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific? What do you mean by "split"?

As it turns out, understanding why galaxies have the spiral structures they do is a complicated question. A simplistic analysis says that all galaxies should have their spiral arms tightly wound up, but this is manifestly not the case. See the Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_galaxy#Origin_of_the_spiral_structure" for further discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you observe some of the better shots of the spiral galaxies, each arm branches in a very peculiar way. It does not make sense to me given only gravity and mass.

I saw a documentry that explained it quite well, they talked about slight variations in gravity, causing object to come closer together, to be even more attacked by each other.

They also showed that the objects themselves remain stationary, and the gravity field rotates around the centre.

Also spiral arms are something of an illusion. What happens is that spiral arms are places where there are more star formation, and areas with more star formation have lots of blue stars. So when you take a picture with instruments that are particularly sensitive to blue light, you see lots of blue stars in the arms.

In fact it's not true that there is "nothing" between the arms. It turns out that with current models of galactic structure that the areas between the arms have as nearly as much "stuff" as the arms. It's just that the "stuff" between the arms are dark bits of gas and dust that don't show up in picture.

Ok, I understand that the arms are areas of a type of condensation and that material is more uniform.

Darryl,
You mentioned that the objects (stars?) don't move but that the gravity field rotates instead. I thought I once heard about the orbit time or our star around the galaxy (60 mill years?) so is this true?

Also, the split arms would indicate a kind of offset gravity interference. I also notice strange concentric circles around supernovae.

Anyways, I appreciate the responses and this cool forum. Thanks.

i believe the orbit time for our solar system to make one revolution is about 250 million years

1. Why do spiral arms in galaxies appear to split?

The spiral arms in galaxies appear to split due to a phenomenon called density waves. These waves are caused by the gravitational pull of the galactic nucleus and the stars within the spiral arms. The stars in the spiral arms move at different speeds, causing the waves to form and giving the appearance of splitting.

2. Do all galaxies have spiral arms?

No, not all galaxies have spiral arms. There are three main types of galaxies: spiral, elliptical, and irregular. Spiral galaxies, such as the Milky Way, have distinct spiral arms, while elliptical galaxies have a smooth, oval shape and irregular galaxies have no defined shape.

3. Are the spiral arms in galaxies permanent structures?

No, the spiral arms in galaxies are not permanent structures. Over time, the density waves that create the spiral arms can dissipate, causing the arms to become less defined or even disappear altogether. New spiral arms can also form as stars continue to move within the galaxy.

4. What causes the different colors in spiral arms?

The different colors in spiral arms are caused by the varying ages and compositions of stars. Young, hot, and bright stars appear blue, while older, cooler, and dimmer stars appear red. The spiral arms contain a mix of both young and old stars, giving them a range of colors.

5. Can we see spiral arms in other galaxies?

Yes, we can see spiral arms in other galaxies. Thanks to advancements in technology, we are able to observe and study galaxies that are far beyond our own galaxy, the Milky Way. These observations have shown us that spiral arms are a common feature in many other galaxies as well.